HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Proliant 5000 Server (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=59696)

Mark November 16th 03 07:50 PM

Proliant 5000 Server

*** Newbie Alert ***
I have just bought a Proliant 5000 with Quad P200 pro's.
I have had no experience with these units, but this one has got a fault.
When powering up it throws up an error saying that the two CPUs on one of
the CPU boards have failed. Testing has revealed that the CPUs and VRMs are
fine.
A couple of questions,
Is this a common fault?
Can this be fixed?
What can I expect to pay for a used MOBO (located in UK)?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Larry November 16th 03 08:45 PM

Mark stood scratching his head and shouted:
Is this a common fault?

I've seen it come up on occasion.

Can this be fixed?

Yes. I'd recommend you power down and re-seat every card. While you have
each card out, I'd clean the contacts with a pink-pearl eraser, wipe with
alcohol, and dry with a soft cotton cloth. Re-assemble, then power up.
Sometimes we have to re-seat out CPU or PSU several times to get rid of an
error.

If you still have errors (or suspect a bad component), swap parts to
troubleshoot down to an individual component.

We get our parts from Ebay after a google search to identify all compatible
part numbers.

Good luck!

Larry Wagar
Skagit Media Productions
(360) 854-0709
larry at skagitmedia dot com
www.skagitmedia.com
Featuring: Virtual Tours,
Database driven ASP sites,
ASP Hosting $8.25 month,
50% off for Non-Profits
MLS Real Estate Sites

Sharmon November 17th 03 01:59 AM

Set your CPU as corrected in the SCU once it is fixed or you will keep
getting this message . Use CTRL + A on the first screen of the SCU to
get the advanced options