HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq motherboard dead! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57758)

Nitin July 4th 03 11:58 AM

Compaq motherboard dead!

I have a compaq (1997-98) motherboard inside a Compaq deskpro EP/SB
series 6266. The computer worked absolutely fine except it wasn't able
to recognise a new PIII processor (CMOS setup showed it as PII). So I
downloaded the required BIOS upgrade from Compaq site and ran the
program for a dos prompt. The program ran successfully and returned to
dos prompt.
I then tried to re-boot the machine. It showed absolutely nothing on
the display. Harddisk got initialised and cpu fan went on, but display
showed nothing.. no beeps.
I then thought of clearing the CMOS. Removed all other cards except
display card, also removed HDDs, connected jumper 2-3 (clear)
position. tried with removing the mains, removing battries, also
removing display card, left off for 1/2 hours, left on for 1 hour,
etc. Tried everything but can't get the BIOS to reset or the display
to show anything!
Is my motherboard dead???
Please help me.. any help will be appreciated
Thanks
Nitin

DEJ57 July 7th 03 12:45 AM

The computer worked absolutely fine except it wasn't able
to recognise a new PIII processor (CMOS setup showed it as PII). So I
downloaded the required BIOS upgrade from Compaq site and ran the
program

You are saying that the BIOS upgrade specifically stated that it would "fix"
the BIOS so that it would recognize a PIII?

I'm a big fan of not flashing unless you have a real big necessity, the flash
states that it cures your problem, and that you don't mind if you kill your
board with a bad flash.

Dale