HardwareBanter

-   -   DVD playback (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=49450)

Nathan June 28th 03 01:00 AM

DVD playback

Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Jeremy Dimmick June 28th 03 02:09 AM

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
of this in this ng). I've also found that with certain 40.xx
drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
acceleration in the program's options. Others here have suggested
keeping PowerDVD installed so you have the relevant codecs, but
using Windows Media Player instead.

jd

J.Clarke June 28th 03 04:45 AM

Email your news provider and ask if they accept cancels from nvidia.
I believe that you will find that they do not. Most accept cancels
only from the original poster or in some cases from well-established
spam-cancelling agents.

In general it is very difficult to "censor" USENET.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003
06:06:06 wrote:

Try placing the display in clone mode and seeing what happens. H/W
accel still won't work, but you should still get a picture...other
than this, it's back to the 40.72's...

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

Because Nvidia is starting to royally suck medicine balls thru a
capillary?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Nathan June 28th 03 09:11 AM

All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce FX5800

"Brad" wrote in message
Like he said, probably need to revert to 40.72 drivers. Lots of

discussion
on this recently.

Stephen Smith June 28th 03 12:50 PM

"Nathan" wrote in message
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of discussion
of this in this ng).

I suffered this problem the other day (with 44.03 drivers) and I went back
to using 41.09. My DVDs work fine using 41.09......? (using Hercules 3D
Prophet III GeForce 3)

I've also found that with certain 40.xx
drivers I can only play DVDs with PowerDVD if I turn off hardware
acceleration in the program's options.

Same here too using PowerDVD 3. (was bundled with my video card)

I downloaded an update for PowerDVD 3 which fixes a few bugs, but most
importantly allows hardware acceleration to be enabled.

If you use PowerDVD 3, I'd recommend you grab the update.

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/d...me=PowerDVD&Pr
odId=28

(sorry, I know that URL is going to word-wrap)

Rgds,

Stephen.

Heh? June 28th 03 06:34 PM

Nathan wrote:
Why wont DVD's play back any more?

I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD....

Windows XP
GFX5800
44.03

Uninstall all video drivers down to VGA basic. Uninstall your DVD
software. Run scandisk/defrag. Reinstall video driver of choice.
reinstall dvd software.

This worked for me when I installed the 4x.xx's and PDVD stopepd working
on me. Noticeably NvDVD player DID work, though... but that's just my
cynical side.

Brad June 28th 03 08:37 PM

Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think. Well, you'll
get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using programs like tvtool
against macrovision, disabling hw accel, etc. If you're lucky something
will work, but its kinda' iffy. Most people solve it with the 40.72s. For
everybody else it always seems to be something different, so just a lot of
trial and error.

tq96 June 28th 03 11:29 PM

Doh! You're right. They date back to about November I think. Well,
you'll get several suggestions on switching DVD sw, using programs

All good and well but the 40.72 drivers dont support the GeForce
FX5800

Sounds like it good be that Macrovision issue with drivers after
40.72 (search the groups.google.com archive for lots of

It doesn't matter. If he has an FX5800, then the macrovision issue
wouldn't be his problem. This issue only affects older cards using older
non-MV complient tv chips. No card manufacturer in its right mind would
knowingly make an NVidia card without MV support knowing the current state
of affairs.

Anybody June 28th 03 11:57 PM

lol some people always fear the worst when they "think" they have top secret
info to share.
"Strontium" wrote in message
Concerning your subject line: Both posts are showing, here. Perhaps you
should investigate your NSP. How, on earth, would nVidia censor a
newsgroup, anyway?

-

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2