HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Boot from SATA 81NXP (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36800)

La Pedrera July 25th 03 04:16 PM

Boot from SATA 81NXP

I purchased a SATA drive and have cloned it over (using Ghost) and now want
to boot from this drive * much faster than my old 10gb ATA one *.

I still want to have the other drive connected and accessible.

How do I change this? I see the setting in the bios for BOOT ORDER, but when
set to SATA it still just skips right over the drive.. .

Bob Davis July 25th 03 09:01 PM

I've heard that current versions of Ghost are not compatible with SATA
drives and renders them as inactive (non-bootable) partitions. One person
has reported (not sure which newsgroup) that he was able to revive his using
Partition Magic v8, and that at that point all was well.

Does your SATA drive have disk cloning software in the package like most
modern PATA drives do? You might check, and make sure it will work going
from PATA to SATA.

le.rogers.com...

La Pedrera July 26th 03 04:36 AM

Right where it originally was.. on the primary master (hdd-0 as per the bios
when I had it set to boot).
It adjusting the boot order to SATA all that is rquired, or do I have to
change the first boot device still??

If I had merely 2 SATA devices, how would it know which one to boot from?

Richard Dower July 27th 03 01:54 AM

"La Pedrera" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Right where it originally was.. on the primary master (hdd-0 as per the

bios
when I had it set to boot).
It adjusting the boot order to SATA all that is rquired, or do I have to
change the first boot device still??

If I had merely 2 SATA devices, how would it know which one to boot from?

I might be wrong, but i have the boot order as: floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI.
There is no option for a boot device to boot from "SATA".