HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=129825)

. June 27th 06 11:42 AM

Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

I remember somewhere that there is a utility which talks to the IMD on
machines like the 5500, 7000, and so on which gives you a bar graph
display of CPU load, memory used, and a couple of other configurable
things. I also remember that it's strictly a Win2K or Win Server 2003
utility. I've had a look on HP's site but can't find it. Does anybody
remember what it was called and which category it's listed under?

I reckon this would be a handy thing to run under WINE for my Gentoo
machines.

Jeffrey Alsip June 27th 06 11:59 PM

.. wrote:
I remember somewhere that there is a utility which talks to the IMD on
machines like the 5500, 7000, and so on which gives you a bar graph
display of CPU load, memory used, and a couple of other configurable
things. I also remember that it's strictly a Win2K or Win Server 2003
utility. I've had a look on HP's site but can't find it. Does anybody
remember what it was called and which category it's listed under?

I reckon this would be a handy thing to run under WINE for my Gentoo
machines.

I have this running on my 3000's and 1600's. It is part of the PSP
(ProLiant Support Pack). I am running Server 2003, so the latest PSP
was right for me. I believe I seen one listed for Solaris and (I think)
Red Hat Enterprise.

Search the Compaq website for the word "PSP".

Jeff

. June 29th 06 05:49 AM

Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

In article . com,
says...

I have this running on my 3000's and 1600's. It is part of the PSP
(ProLiant Support Pack). I am running Server 2003, so the latest PSP
was right for me. I believe I seen one listed for Solaris and (I think)
Red Hat Enterprise.

Search the Compaq website for the word "PSP".

Jeff

Thanks yes I've found it, tried to run it under WINE but it barfed
because it wanted the system control driver installed first, which then
insisted I install Internet Explorer first (not bloody likely) so I've
given up on trying to run the Windows version under Gentoo + WINE. I'll
see if I can find it for *NIX.

NuTCrAcKeR June 29th 06 06:52 AM

Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

"." wrote in message
om.au...
In article . com,
says...

I have this running on my 3000's and 1600's. It is part of the PSP
(ProLiant Support Pack). I am running Server 2003, so the latest PSP
was right for me. I believe I seen one listed for Solaris and (I think)
Red Hat Enterprise.

Search the Compaq website for the word "PSP".

Jeff

Thanks yes I've found it, tried to run it under WINE but it barfed
because it wanted the system control driver installed first, which then
insisted I install Internet Explorer first (not bloody likely) so I've
given up on trying to run the Windows version under Gentoo + WINE. I'll
see if I can find it for *NIX.

such is life when one tries to shortcut the ways of the compaq(HP) server

- LC

Rick F. June 29th 06 05:16 PM

Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

In article , NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

"." wrote in message
om.au...
In article . com,
says...

I have this running on my 3000's and 1600's. It is part of the PSP
(ProLiant Support Pack). I am running Server 2003, so the latest PSP
was right for me. I believe I seen one listed for Solaris and (I think)
Red Hat Enterprise.

Search the Compaq website for the word "PSP".

Jeff

Thanks yes I've found it, tried to run it under WINE but it barfed
because it wanted the system control driver installed first, which then
insisted I install Internet Explorer first (not bloody likely) so I've
given up on trying to run the Windows version under Gentoo + WINE. I'll
see if I can find it for *NIX.

such is life when one tries to shortcut the ways of the compaq(HP) server

Please post back if you do find some of the mgmt utilities for any (newer)
flavor of Linux.. I looked around a while back and didn't really find
anything much aside from some Smart Array utilties..

-- Rick

Nut Cracker June 29th 06 06:48 PM

Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

such is life when one tries to shortcut the ways of the compaq(HP) server

Please post back if you do find some of the mgmt utilities for any (newer)
flavor of Linux.. I looked around a while back and didn't really find
anything much aside from some Smart Array utilties..

-- Rick

all the packages are up there ...but for RHEL and stuff like that. Just look
at just about any G3/G4 server and chose a supported linux distro. you will
see all the goodies that are available there.

I havent tried to use ANY of those OS's on these things, and I have not
tried to shoehorn utilities for the Enterprise Distro's onto other distros
.... so beware that you might have some pain ahead of you.

- LC

Jeffrey Alsip June 29th 06 09:35 PM

Nut Cracker wrote:
all the packages are up there ...but for RHEL and stuff like that. Just look
at just about any G3/G4 server and chose a supported linux distro. you will
see all the goodies that are available there.

I havent tried to use ANY of those OS's on these things, and I have not
tried to shoehorn utilities for the Enterprise Distro's onto other distros
... so beware that you might have some pain ahead of you.

- LC

Here is a quick link to a good starting point for PSP:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/fi.../us/index.html

If you look at option 2 "locate by category", and scroll through the
first field box, you will see that almost every major Linux
distribution is represented. I have never installed a RedHat Enterprise
distro, but I believe that they roughly correspond to Fedora Core
releases (Enterprise people correct me if I'm wrong). So Enterprise 4
roughly corresponds to Fedora Core 4, etc.

Jeff

Rick F. June 30th 06 07:32 AM

In article .com, Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Nut Cracker wrote:
[...]

While this might be correct (and probably is), I didn't see anything
listed under RHE4 that could be used with an older Proliant such as
a 6400 or 5500 or anything of that era.. That stuff seemed to be more
geared towards DL's, MLs, BL's, etc. I suspect that if you want to
use their older drivers, you're stuck with old school Linux (2.4 kernel).

-- Rick

Jeffrey Alsip June 30th 06 09:53 PM

Rick F. wrote:
While this might be correct (and probably is), I didn't see anything
listed under RHE4 that could be used with an older Proliant such as
a 6400 or 5500 or anything of that era.. That stuff seemed to be more
geared towards DL's, MLs, BL's, etc. I suspect that if you want to
use their older drivers, you're stuck with old school Linux (2.4 kernel).

-- Rick

I am often confused when trying to determine what will work. Searching
for drivers and searching for utilities appear to be different animals.
Take my 3000's, for example. "Official" Compaq support for this machine
ended years ago...and when you search under "software and drivers" for
the 3000, you will find the most recent Linux to be Enterprise 1.
However, I have gotten Fedora Core 4 to run perfectly on a 3000...GUI
(X window) and all. Just because an OS is not "officially" supported
does not mean that it will not work. I was then able to grab a PSP,
designed for a DL system, that was written for Enterprise 4. The
drivers in the pack were useless, but I pulled some utilities out of it
(like the IMD Utility, for instance) and they worked just fine. In the
Linux world, any utility that has been compiled to work with a certain
kernel will work on ANY machine running that kernel.

Like I said...confusing

Jeff

. July 1st 06 05:45 AM

Bar graph display on IMD for Proliants

In article .com,
says...

[...]

I might give that a go. Could you tell me which PSP you downloaded, and
where to find the IMD utility in it?