HardwareBanter

-   -   Windows Server 2003 and GeForce 256 Direct3D (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=52317)

BeyerIII December 15th 03 07:12 AM

Windows Server 2003 and GeForce 256 Direct3D

I have a Dell Dimension 700r that has a NVIDIA GeForce 256 AGP card. I
recently upgraded this machine from Windows 98SE to the evaluation version of
Windows Server 2003. During the upgrade process, I removed the Windows 98SE
partition and did a clean install of Windows Server 2003. The installation
went very smoothly; but after running the DirectX Diagnostics Tool (DirectX
8.1), I noticed that Direct3D was no longer available (in the Display tab). My
guess is the nVIDIA GeForce 256 driver provided by Microsoft for Windows Server
2003 does not support Direct3D, so I will try downloading the latest XP driver
from nVIDIA. Does anyone have any information/suggestions about this problem?
TIA,

Me December 15th 03 11:03 AM

You need to enable the FULL directx fetures in Win2003.
They are "turned" down by default.
Install Directx 9.0b.
Install the latest drivers and then look on the troubleshooting tab in the
video drivers. Move the slider to FULL.
Then re-run dxdiag and enable D3D stttings.
Also look for a similar setting in the sound card settings.

Me December 15th 03 11:07 AM

Video.
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/hardwareacc.htm

Sound.
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/sound.htm

Dark Avenger December 15th 03 12:39 PM

(BeyerIII) wrote in message ...
I have a Dell Dimension 700r that has a NVIDIA GeForce 256 AGP card. I
recently upgraded this machine from Windows 98SE to the evaluation version of
Windows Server 2003. During the upgrade process, I removed the Windows 98SE
partition and did a clean install of Windows Server 2003. The installation
went very smoothly; but after running the DirectX Diagnostics Tool (DirectX
8.1), I noticed that Direct3D was no longer available (in the Display tab). My
guess is the nVIDIA GeForce 256 driver provided by Microsoft for Windows Server
2003 does not support Direct3D, so I will try downloading the latest XP driver
from nVIDIA. Does anyone have any information/suggestions about this problem?
TIA,

Win 2003 Server has a few problems with DirectX, after all it's not
set up to be a gaming machine, but installing Directx 9 should solve
your problem, though gaming is still quite impossible slow!

But hey, you can play The Sims!