HardwareBanter

-   -   6800 Ultra for £20? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54924)

Alan Sawdon August 18th 04 08:54 PM

6800 Ultra for £20?

OK, I understand most of you will think this is a scam. I know that it
isn't, but it is a *gamble*. If your not willing to take a gamble, ignore
this post.
If you are, or even *might* be, then please read this thoroughly. It a
little long, but you've got nothing to lose by just reading it right???

http://www.itsfree2u.co.uk/ is running a system, where you buy 4 mobile
phone signal boosters for £20 (probably a lot more than they are worth, I
don't know). Your name is then added to a list to recive a 'free gift'.
Every time a certain number of people buy the boosters, whoever is next on
the list recieves their free gift. These gifts range from mobile phones,
thru Apple I-Pods up to plasma TVs.
**There is also XFX Geforce 6800 Ultra's** :)

I happen to know somebody who has recieved an I-Pod from them, so I know it
is NOT a scam as such... however, the longer the list gets, the less chance
you ever have of recieving this free gift any time this year (or longer, who
knows)! In the case of the 6800 card, every time 26 people sign up the next
person on the list will get their gift (in the case of a Nokia Ngage it is
only 10, for a plasma TV it's a LOT more!).

So, how do you work this system to get yours much faster? Well, I'll tell
you... :)
When you sign up on a list, you can choose to input the name of the person
who referred you to the site. That person will then get 'bumped' up the list
a notch (so that's 26 less people that you have to wait for). If 4 of your
friends sign up, and they all refer you, then that is 104 less people...
suddenly, it may not take quite as long yeah?!?!

You can even refer YOURSELF. So you sign onto one list (say for the
Geforce), then another (or same again if you like) and put the referral name
as whatever you used the first time. You bump YOURSELF up a notch! If you
check the lists, you will see some people have names with a number after
(eg, Andrew Thompson (7) or something). This is because they are referring
themselves multiple times and hopping up the list!!!

Want another way to cut your waiting time??? Advertise a Geforce 6800 on
eBay for whatever price they are currently selling (around £350 I think?).
In the item description inform people NOT to bid on this item, but tell them
about the website where they can get one for only £20. You are telling them
this info for free! All you ask is that they use YOUR name as a referral!
Does this work? Sure it does, it's how my friend who got the I-Pod found the
site!!! :)
(IMPORTANT: be sure to advertise the item for a realistic price - if some
dumbo buys your listed item, you are legally bound to provide it and so will
have to go and buy one to ship to them...)

The upshot of all this:
If you are willing to risk losing £20 (not technically losing, since you'll
be getting some mobile phone boosters that you can always sell on eBay or
summat), you may end up with a very cheap graphics card by encouraging your
friends to refer you. Or if you are willing to spend £40 (or £60 or £80...)
and refer yourself, you will almost certainly get one sooner, still at a
bargain price!

At the end of the day, it IS a gamble, sure. But I'm willing to gamble £20
for a 6800 Ultra, so I reckoned some of you might be too. If you DO, then
please use my name (Alan Sawdon) as your referral... Hey, I can't *make* you
do it, but you don't lose anything and it'll help me out right?? :)

Anyway, I just thought I'd tell you guys about this. I'm truly NOT connected
with this site in any way (you can see my name on the list), I just thought
I'd let you all know.

Don't forget: if you wanna sign up at http://www.itsfree2u.co.uk/ , and you
wanna say "Thanks" use 'Alan Sawdon' as the referral name...

Cheers all,
#Sawdon#

Bob Perez August 18th 04 09:01 PM

"Alan Sawdon" wrote in message

snip

Not sure if you realize it (can't really tell from your post), but what
you're describing is really a pyramid scheme and is a sucker's bet. Such
schemes are illegal in many of the United States, tho perhaps not in other
countries. In any case, the old saying that "If it looks too good to be
true, it is" applies with full force here. Suckers, beware.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Alan Sawdon August 18th 04 09:06 PM

Ooops. I may have made a little mistake. The number after some people's
names *may* be the amount of times they have been reffered. I'm not sure,
since some names are repeated without a number after it.
I'll try n get hold of the friend who got his I-Pod and ask him.

Not that it makes any difference to how it all works :)

Les August 19th 04 12:17 AM

Alan Sawdon wrote:

snipped pyramid scam

Nicked this from another post elsewhere

I pity "Todd A Shortlidge". He joined today and is currently no. 71 on the
list.

Which means that when another 1846 people have signed up, he will get his
card. The trouble for him is, if only another 1845 people sign, he's been
ripped off and wasted his money.

So what's his chances? Well the 1846th person will look at the list, and if
he has half a brain, he will work out that another 38,766 people need to
sign up for him to get his card. So - and its just a guess - perhaps he
won't bother. Doh.

Actually, I suspect it will breakdown after perhaps only another 10 or 20
people sign up. If the list tops 100 names, I will be surprised. Poor old
Todd A Shortlidge will probably be about 1700 names short of his 1800 name
target. What a dickhead.

--
Les
AMD64 3200+

Les August 19th 04 12:18 AM

PS. Abuse report sent to

deimos August 19th 04 03:13 AM

"Bob Perez" wrote in message

"Alan Sawdon" wrote in message

snip

Not sure if you realize it (can't really tell from your post), but what
you're describing is really a pyramid scheme and is a sucker's bet. Such
schemes are illegal in many of the United States, tho perhaps not in other
countries. In any case, the old saying that "If it looks too good to be
true, it is" applies with full force here. Suckers, beware.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Don't do that. Your 20 just adds to the funding of the scheme and
invites more suckers. If 200,000 people give into it, the scam artist
still makes 4 MILLION bucks!!!

You see it doesn't take much to run a scam and be profitable with a net
full of idiots.

BTW, my real name is Prince Mobuku and I have some money that I want to
send you....

.... new one made very day...

Mark Leuck August 19th 04 05:51 AM

I hope you like spam then

Those sites can be scam sites or they can be legit organizations that
specialize in marketing, they get you to send in your email and multiple
friends then they send you marketing junk, chances are you really will get a
6800 but you'll also get tons of spam, to the marketer whatever prize they
offer is nothing compared to what they can bring in advertizing.

And oddly enough people are attracted to this style marketing

Hervey Cleckley August 19th 04 12:22 PM

It always surprises me, how gullible otherwise intelligent people can be. In
college I remember Econ majors swearing that these things worked! Idiots.
The analog in physics is a perpetual motion machine.

But for all of you who disagree, I own some beautiful beach-front property
in Ohio. Great view of the Atlantic. Only 20$.

HC

Granulated August 19th 04 12:31 PM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:17:20 +0100 Les meeped :

Alan Sawdon wrote:

[...]

lol

hey... whne the first crop of begging spams came in on this group a couple of
weeks ago I had a look at the webpage and told the bloke that at the current
rate of uptake he'd get his card in 10 months....well..the rate of uptake to the
"scheme" has slowed down (obviously) and will continue to do so !!
Heeeee...when will they start warning kids about this kind of thing in Social
Studies or somesuch class !?!!!
--