HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Power Supplies Going up in smoke! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8691)

Hop May 4th 04 12:45 AM

Power Supplies Going up in smoke!

I have a system with an AMD 64 3400+ on a K8T Neo MSI mainboard.
Have two SATA WD 120 gig in a raid 0 on the VIA chipset, not the promise!
Have 2 sticks infineon 512 meg pc3200 in dual channel, a Lite on DVD and
a Lite on CDRW, a SB Audigy 2 and an MSI 5900 Ultra XT with 256 megs...
The thing is blazing fast, and stuffed into a Foxconn mid tower with a 450
watt
power supply. The first pwsupply went out while running SiSoft burn in ....
and I figured I caught a weak component. I replaced that one with a 420 watt
Codegen and that one went up in less than 12 hours run time...
I have a 600 watt coming, but I would like to hear from the group on
possible
causes and things to look out for... Like I said this beast is VERY fast but
it gets
a little expensive feeding it power supplies... Thanks in advance...

Jason Cothran May 4th 04 01:39 AM

"Hop" wrote in message
| I have a system with an AMD 64 3400+ on a K8T Neo MSI mainboard.
| Have two SATA WD 120 gig in a raid 0 on the VIA chipset, not the promise!
| Have 2 sticks infineon 512 meg pc3200 in dual channel, a Lite on DVD and
| a Lite on CDRW, a SB Audigy 2 and an MSI 5900 Ultra XT with 256 megs...
| The thing is blazing fast, and stuffed into a Foxconn mid tower with a
450
| watt
| power supply. The first pwsupply went out while running SiSoft burn in
| and I figured I caught a weak component. I replaced that one with a 420
watt
| Codegen and that one went up in less than 12 hours run time...
| I have a 600 watt coming, but I would like to hear from the group on
| possible
| causes and things to look out for... Like I said this beast is VERY fast
but
| it gets
| a little expensive feeding it power supplies... Thanks in advance...

Assuming everything is OK with input power to the PSU, you have a bad
component pulling too many amps off the power supply frying them.

Craig Coope May 4th 04 02:20 AM

"Hop" wrote in message
[...]

I have just sent back my A64 3400+ because it had cold boot problems (I
suspect the PSU) but it was only 340W...but it was supposed to be AMD
rated.....

Now I bet I get a replacment that does the exact same thing....if I do I
will be kicking up a stink...

We will see....

Craig...

Peter van der Goes May 4th 04 03:09 AM

"Craig Coope" wrote in message

I have just sent back my A64 3400+ because it had cold boot problems (I
suspect the PSU) but it was only 340W...but it was supposed to be AMD
rated.....

Now I bet I get a replacment that does the exact same thing....if I do I
will be kicking up a stink...

We will see....

Craig...

I have to ask. The PSU is "AMD rated" for what CPU's? And is the claim of
"AMD Rated" corroborated by what you find on the AMD web site? I've seen a
lot of ads for PSU's claiming "AMD Approved" or whatever. only to find the
approval is for same brand different model or limited to lesser CPU's.
If your system is like the OP's, high end video, multiple drives, etc., it's
going to draw a lot of juice on startup. If your symptom was: no boot from
cold, but OK on reboot, it was likely the PSU.

Wayne @ W. May 4th 04 04:35 AM

Craig, Newegg.com has an Enermax 420watt PSU that states it supports AMD 64
chip based systems, and it is less than 70.00

Wayne

Ed Light May 4th 04 06:08 AM

"Wayne @ W." wrote in message
Craig, Newegg.com has an Enermax 420watt PSU that states it supports AMD

64
chip based systems, and it is less than 70.00

If you're going to get one of those new nvidia monster cards, maybe a 550
would be better.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell May 4th 04 08:39 AM

On Tue, 04 May 2004 02:20:50 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

"Hop" wrote in message
[...]

When I first got my AMD 64 3000+ I couldn't get it to stay boot sometimes.
and other times it would crash during post, etc during the first minute. I
had a 400W PSU. I ordered 3 more, 500, 550, and 600W. All 3 ran the system
fine. The 400W still powers my XP system just fine. So yes, you need good
power. The 500W was $15, the 550 $18, and the 600 was $24. Yeah, I'm a
cheap sob.:-)

rstlne May 4th 04 10:04 AM

"Hop" wrote in message
[...]

Many power supplys can come bad straight from the box (SWPS's Just do that
sorta thing sometimes).
When you get the new supply in, before checking how well it works under
"Stressful" benchmarks, look at the 5/12/3 v lines and see how well they are
in (If they are kinda far out then that might mean somethings pulling it
down). If everything is working good (but the supply's burn out) then there
is either a short forming somewhere, a ground fault (Check your wall plug),
or part of the equipment is pulling the kit down.

I guess all the other standard rules apply too, Make sure all the standoffs
are in the correct place, make sure all the cables are tight fitting, double
check anything that has external power (USB), so on so forth

rstlne May 4th 04 10:17 AM

"Hop" wrote in message
[...]

OOOOOPS
I sent this via email instead of NG .. laugh..

I am glad there are people like you out there..
You make me understand why companys have **** tech support staff and why
companys have to inflate prices to cover their loss of returned - non faulty
product.