HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   can sata drives also be connected to ide? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=22198)

Beemer December 10th 04 09:40 AM

can sata drives also be connected to ide?

I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.

Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

Beemer

Ed Medlin December 10th 04 12:37 PM

"Beemer" wrote in message
I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.

Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

Beemer

No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably and will
save you buying a new MB.

Ed

John Doe December 10th 04 12:48 PM

"Ed Medlin" wrote:
"Beemer" wrote in message

I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is
using a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably
and will save you buying a new MB.

Does he get the same potential benefit of RAID with just a PCI SATA
controller?

Atreju December 10th 04 10:10 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:57 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

"Ed Medlin" wrote:
"Beemer" wrote in message

I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is
using a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably
and will save you buying a new MB.

Does he get the same potential benefit of RAID with just a PCI SATA
controller?

That probably depends upon the controller. Many of them support it.

---Atreju---

Beemer December 11th 04 08:11 AM

In article ,
says...

"Beemer" wrote in message
I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.

Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

Beemer

ED,

Thats good news,

Thanks,