HardwareBanter

-   -   My Best Data nVidia Card Sucks (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=52788)

Han January 15th 04 04:55 AM

My Best Data nVidia Card Sucks

My Best Data 5600 FX 256 video card is way too bright.

I've played with my monitor adjustments, turning the brightness all the way
down. I've fiddled with the display control panel, experimenting with the
brightness, contrast and gamma settings. This causes the screen to become
muddy and skews the color palette.

I tried contacting Best Data tech support, which has been completely
unhelpful. I only get half-baked response written in broken English. They
offered to test the card at their repair facility, but that doesn't do me
any good. I make my living with my computer and can't afford to be without
it.

My monitor is a Sony G400 19" has served me well for over three years and
worked flawlessly with my previous computer and video card, a VisionTek
Xtasy 4200.

I feel very let down by Best Data. I bought the card in September and now am
forced to buy another one. Needless to say my next card will not be from
Best Data.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.

anon January 15th 04 07:11 AM

TBH the problem you describe doesnt sound like the result of a faulty video
card.

Have you tried this card on a different monitor and/or in a different PC ?

Overbrightness can be a sign of a failing monitor.
Alternatively, it could be a conflict in windows, possibly caused by
remains of your previous cards driver settings in the registry, so a
completely fresh install of windows may be a good idea.

The Black Wibble January 15th 04 11:34 AM

"Han" wrote in message news:vaoNb.69003$8H.108456@attbi_s03...
My Best Data 5600 FX 256 video card is way too bright.

I've played with my monitor adjustments, turning the brightness all the way
down. I've fiddled with the display control panel, experimenting with the
brightness, contrast and gamma settings. This causes the screen to become
muddy and skews the color palette.

By "display control panel" do you mean the monitor's OSD or Display Properties?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

The Black Wibble January 15th 04 11:56 AM

"Han" wrote in message news:vaoNb.69003$8H.108456@attbi_s03...
My Best Data 5600 FX 256 video card is way too bright.

I've played with my monitor adjustments, turning the brightness all the way
down. I've fiddled with the display control panel, experimenting with the
brightness, contrast and gamma settings. This causes the screen to become
muddy and skews the color palette.

I tried contacting Best Data tech support, which has been completely
unhelpful. I only get half-baked response written in broken English. They
offered to test the card at their repair facility, but that doesn't do me
any good. I make my living with my computer and can't afford to be without
it.

You should be able to adjust the brightness/contrast/gamma settings in software. What nvidia driver version
is installed? Is there an icon in the system tray called NVIDIA Settings from which you can select "Desktop
Colour Settings"? When you go to Display Properties-Settings-Advanced-{card name} and open the side panel,
is there an entry named "Colour Correction"?

Tony.

Han January 15th 04 10:30 PM

Thanks for your message.

As stated, the monitor is three years old and worked perfectly with another
computer.

The current computer is only four months old and has a fresh Windows XP
installation. No other video card has been used in the system. The latest
nVidia drivers are used.

Han January 15th 04 10:43 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I tried lowering the brightness using the Display properties Color
Correction tab. This causes the screen to become muddy and the color palette
becomes skewed. Changing the color depth to 16 or 32 bit makes no
difference.

I upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers. This made no difference.

The Black Wibble January 16th 04 01:23 AM

"Han" wrote in message news:cQDNb.62657$5V2.70044@attbi_s53...
Thanks for your reply.

I tried lowering the brightness using the Display properties Color
Correction tab. This causes the screen to become muddy and the color palette
becomes skewed. Changing the color depth to 16 or 32 bit makes no
difference.

I upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers. This made no difference.

Yeessh... In other words you were given a dunger of a card. You have my condolences.

Han January 16th 04 07:36 AM

I've been doing some research and you might be right. My Sony G400 monitor
is most likely is failing. I connected to my old computer and the image is
still too bright.

This is extremely disappointing because it's only three years old. I have a
SF17-2 that's twice as old and is still going strong.

I have incorrectly blamed Best Data for my image problems. However, I still
wouldn't buy another Best Data product because the after-purchase customer
service is ****-poor.