HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Test pins Compaq1600 Need to test output for battery volts (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=122480)

belschner March 15th 06 03:33 AM

Test pins Compaq1600 Need to test output for battery volts

Hello,
Some one please help--I have an old laptop i use just to surf. Compaq
1600 now I know some of the older laptops do not work unless theres a
battery in them - ""I guess a working one. "" Im
looking to test the pins on the circuit board to see if Im getting
voltage with a meter. ( AKA to see if my battery is dead ) I dont get
anything on the test light on my battery . I want to make sure the
charging circuit is working before i get a battery this thing is not
worth putting money into unless its the battery is the problem. I
guess the circuit board could be bad aswell. But want some input

Please advise what pins to test toor where some where else maybe
testing points ,,,what readings I should get???????

Mark March 27th 06 07:42 PM

Test pins Compaq1600 Need to test output for battery volts

Generally speaking, laptops will operate even if NO battery is
installed, including 1600-series Presarios. Pursue making sure that
power is actually reaching the "guts" of the machine first. On my 1625,
the problem was that the DC jack was not making contact with the
circuit board (an adventure in itself!). In other cases, the DC wire
has become intermittent right where it enters the plug (which at least
is easier to get at). Lastly, there may be grief on the motherboard
itself.

But DON'T but a new battery just yet.

-Mark