HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Laserjet 4 Always prints 2 copies (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=73069)

Rusty Phillips September 12th 03 11:06 PM

Laserjet 4 Always prints 2 copies

I just got an HP Laserjet 4, which works perfectly, EXCEPT
that the printer's default number of copies is 2, and I can't get
it to change.

No matter how I try to print, the end result is always two copies of
whatever that is. Looking at the printer's hardware itself indicated
that the printer is set to print two copies of everything by default.

What I thought would work was using the printer job language (pjl)
and telling the printer to use a default of 1 copy, as per the spec
in the hp printer guide:
http://www.computerfuchs.net/neu/pdf/hp4v_eng.pdf

So I typed this:
echo "\027%-12345X@PJL DEFAULT COPIES=1\015\012\027%-12345X\015\012" /dev/lp0
And nothing changed at all - the printer still reports that the default
number of copies is 2.

Anybody know a pjl command that will set the default copies to 1?
Or some other way to do it?

In case it isn't clear, \027 is escape, \015 is carriage return, and \012
is linefeed.

Rusty Phillips September 13th 03 11:29 AM

Ah, thanks! That did the trick!

Dewaine Chan September 20th 03 12:13 AM

Turn teh printer off.
Remove teh JetDirect card if there is one.
Hold down teh Online button and turn the printer on.

That will do a Cold Reset and set it back to Default of one copy on the printer.

Dewaine