HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does Dell make its own motherboards? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=38968)

Gordon Scott January 3rd 05 07:14 PM

Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.

Aosmosis January 3rd 05 07:31 PM

"Gordon Scott" wrote in message
Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.

A company called Hon Hai makes them in China

Immuno January 3rd 05 08:36 PM

"Lem" wrote in message ...
Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

If your ever considering "looking under the bonnet", or peeking at the
BIOS - don't do Dell!

Pete

Venom January 3rd 05 11:33 PM

Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
Build it yourself using good brand name hardware and build it the way you
want it. You will be very pleased with the results.

GB January 4th 05 10:14 AM

"Venom" wrote in message
Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built than
the price at which I can buy the parts.

Your generalisation is a bit idiotic.

Will Reeve January 4th 05 01:38 PM

Tx2 wrote:
In article ,
, a.k.a GB says...

"Venom" wrote in message
Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I
have chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might
be that I am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that
the Dells do the job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less
to buy in ready-built than the price at which I can buy the parts.

20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine
goes down is worth it is it?

"But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

Good luck then.

Personally, i'd spend the extra 20% (which is how much on a home brew
machine, £100?) and be able to replace stock parts.

Buying Dell is false economy, IMO

Remember you need to factor in the time taken to spec, order, build, test,
run-in the system, install the operating system etc. etc. your £100 has just
jumped to £500 at least (remember to also factor in the additional accounts
required to source parts from more than one supplier).

Keep well,

Will
--
Will Reeve

ric January 4th 05 03:02 PM

you are an idiot.
say you've got an enterprise company. you supply them with a large
quantity of desktop pcs you've built yourself. these may end up at
various sites, being used at weekends and holidays. you're going to
support them all, are you? on site response with a guaranteed SLA?
you can guarantee exactly the same configuration will be available for
a minimum of say, 3 years, so that their IT guys can standardise a
build image for them, are you?
i build all my own systems and a lot for other people, but for
corporate use you want something with a low Total Cost of Ownership,
not just cheap.

ric

GB January 5th 05 01:21 AM

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...
In article , ,
a.k.a GB says...

"Venom" wrote in message
Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built
than
the price at which I can buy the parts.

20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine goes
down is worth it is it?

Maybe not. We'll see. My experience is that PCs don't break very often.
Actually, I'll rephrase that. The PCs at the office never break. The PCs at
home (which the kids use) seem to break rather a lot.

When there is a problem, it tends to be one of the moving bits such as the
hard disks, which are completely standard on these Dell machines.

In fact, these were very cheap system boxes - under 200 Pounds including
VAT. The component cost would be about 250 Pounds. However, there's also my
time to build up and test the systems if I bought the bits - worth say
another 50 Pounds per computer.

"But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

For what Dell charge? You must be joking! :-)

What I do have is several systems that are the same. There's one system box
that is only occasionally used and could be cannibalised for parts if
necessary.