HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Configuration recommendation? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=9005)

***** charles November 27th 04 09:38 PM

Configuration recommendation?

Hi all,

I would like to build a dual Opteron 242 system that will
be running Linux in 64bit mode. So I have several q's:

Must the cpu's be "matched"?

Will I have a problem finding/getting a second cpu if I
start out with just one and try to add one latter (for
price reasons)?

Which manufacturers (mb) have a better reputation for
reliability and support, speed is secondary?

If you have gone through this, any helpfull hints would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks,
charles.....

A Guy Called Tyketto November 27th 04 10:26 PM

***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to build a dual Opteron 242 system that will
be running Linux in 64bit mode. So I have several q's:

Must the cpu's be "matched"?

I believe they need to be matched., unless you have the option
to underclock the more powerful one to match the slower. But I'm pretty
sure they have to be matched.

Will I have a problem finding/getting a second cpu if I
start out with just one and try to add one latter (for
price reasons)?

Depends on the board. I was looking at getting the MSI
Master2-FAR board, which does dual Opterons, until I noticed some
'mistakes' MSI made when they created that board. It does run with one
CPU on it, so I'd think the other boards (Tyan, etc) would be able to
match it with running one CPU with the chance of adding to it later.

Which manufacturers (mb) have a better reputation for
reliability and support, speed is secondary?

Reliability? Definitely go with Tyan.

If you have gone through this, any helpfull hints would be
greatly appreciated.

IMHO, stay away from the Master2-FAR from MSI. First off, the
slots for the CPU conform to the P4 spec, not AMD's spec, which makes
finding a heatsink/CPU fan a bear. Secondly, while they also give you
the fans needed in the box with the board, the fans don't conform to
AMD's spec, therefore voiding AMD's warranty for the CPU. So, if your
Opteron dies on that board and possibly takes out the board, MSI will
cover you for the board, but you're on your own for the CPU. And
Opteron 242s still aren't that cheap. Once again, IMHO, Tyan would be
the way to go for you.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email: