HardwareBanter

-   -   OT?: Best Disk Defrag Software (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=52884)

bigmike January 21st 04 09:45 PM

OT?: Best Disk Defrag Software

Hi,

I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP Pro.
If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then use
Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the drive
is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper
will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one do
you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial versions
and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or
just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?

Mike

Bob January 21st 04 10:11 PM

I like Perfect Disk 6.0...seems to be more thorough and it's what a lot of
the MS MVP's have been recommending . You can get a 30 day trial at:
http://www.raxco.com/
They claim that it does in one pass what Diskeeper takes to do over a period
of time. I've had excellent results with it and purchased a copy.
HTH,
Bob
. net...

Patch January 21st 04 10:15 PM

"bigmike" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,

I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP Pro.
If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then use
Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the

drive
is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper
will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one do
you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial

versions
and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or
just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?

Mike

Diskeeper is a keeper!

BelaLvgosi January 22nd 04 12:58 AM

"Patch" wrote in message

"bigmike" wrote in message
[...]

PerfectDisk, as it optimizes swap file position (putting it in the middle of
the disk) unlike Diskeeper that only defrags it and throws it in the first
available space it sees.

Darkfalz January 22nd 04 03:51 PM

PerfectDisk, as it optimizes swap file position (putting it in the middle
of
the disk) unlike Diskeeper that only defrags it and throws it in the first
available space it sees.

Optimal is putting it at the START of the disc, where the disc is fastest.

Asestar January 23rd 04 12:39 AM

I used SystemMechanic 4. It was on trial, but i think It did a very good
job. It has 2 modes, 1 fast, and 1 optimal. Optimal one puts data on start
of disk, if i remember.

~misfit~ January 23rd 04 11:43 PM

Patch wrote:
"bigmike" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,

I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using
XP Pro. If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is
done) and then use Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long
while before it says the drive is defragmented. If I run Norton
first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper will only run a short while
and then say the drive is done. Which one do you guys think does a
more thorough job because mine are both trial versions and I have to
pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or just
take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?

Mike

Diskeeper is a keeper!

Gotta agree there. I've tried both Diskeeper and Speedisk extensively and
noticed no discernable difference in performance after using either. In fact
Speedisk actually destroyed a couple of my older HDDs (8-10GB), I used it
frequently and it thrashes the **** out of the disk, causing waaaay more
wear'n'tear than the disk would see during normal use. After a while I ended
up with bad sectors all over the place, something which didn't happen with
identical HDDs I didn't use Speedisk with.

JME.

I no longer install Norton Systemworks '03 on my machines.
--
~misfit~