HardwareBanter

-   -   Looking for a GeForce 3 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=157951)

[email protected] September 29th 07 01:16 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

Am looking for a GeForce 3 to replace an nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB, which is
a stock Dell OEM, Diamond Viper 770. The platform is a dual 500MHz Xeon
workstation with SCSI hard drives.. still working GREAT, running Win2k
Pro. Application is mainly for FlightSim v8 and v9. Don't expect a lot
more FPS, but more VRAM and hence, more scenery.

What is to be gained in a GeForce3? ANd how much video RAM was
available typically with the GF3? Would like 64MB, 128 or even 256MB
if there was such a thing. Am going to a local computer `show and sale´
this weekend and next. Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)

-G

p.s. mainboard has early version of AGP slot, perhaps 1.0

Mr.E Solved! September 29th 07 03:50 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

wrote:

What is to be gained in a GeForce3?

Nothing is to be gained by using that obsolete (circa 2001) DX8 card
with a DX9 game, such as FS9.

There are robust AGP options in both GeForce 4, 5, 6, and 7 flavors. All
of which can be found more readily and cheaper than a GeForce3.

I wish you well on your recovery however, that long sleep must have been
trouble for your lawn. Glad to see you getting right back into the
vanguard of bleeding edge tech!

[email protected] September 29th 07 04:10 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:50:58 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
brought the following to our attention:

wrote:

What is to be gained in a GeForce3?

Nothing is to be gained by using that obsolete (circa 2001) DX8 card
with a DX9 game, such as FS9.

There are robust AGP options in both GeForce 4, 5, 6, and 7 flavors. All
of which can be found more readily and cheaper than a GeForce3.

Thanks.. will be shopping for a cheapie GeForce 4 today at the show, one
that works in AGP 1.0 slot and supports DX9. Do I have all that correct?

I wish you well on your recovery however, that long sleep must have been
trouble for your lawn. Glad to see you getting right back into the
vanguard of bleeding edge tech!

Not that's funny.. joking!!

-G

First of One[_2_] September 29th 07 04:30 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

All Geforce cards except the 7800GS, 7950GT, 6600, and early 6200 will work
in an AGP 1.0 slot with 3.3V signaling.

Geforce4 doesn't support DX9 features. You'll need a card from the Geforce
FX5 or Geforce 6 series if you care about DX9 support. As a minimum you'll
want a FX5700 or 6200. A stripped down (i.e. cheap) 6800GS or 6800XT will be
better.

Benjamin Gawert September 29th 07 04:33 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

* :

Am looking for a GeForce 3 to replace an nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB, which is
a stock Dell OEM, Diamond Viper 770. The platform is a dual 500MHz Xeon
workstation with SCSI hard drives..

I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but at
that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
belongs to my son.

still working GREAT, running Win2k
Pro. Application is mainly for FlightSim v8 and v9. Don't expect a lot
more FPS, but more VRAM and hence, more scenery.

What is to be gained in a GeForce3?

Not much. The Geforce3 is outdated.

ANd how much video RAM was
available typically with the GF3?

32MB and 64MB.

Would like 64MB, 128 or even 256MB
if there was such a thing.

Even if there were one, big memory is just useless if the GPU is slow.

Am going to a local computer `show and sale´
this weekend and next. Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)

Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

Benjamin

[email protected] September 30th 07 04:14 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:30:02 -0400, "First of One"
brought the following to our attention:

All Geforce cards except the 7800GS, 7950GT, 6600, and early 6200 will work
in an AGP 1.0 slot with 3.3V signaling.

Geforce4 doesn't support DX9 features. You'll need a card from the Geforce
FX5 or Geforce 6 series if you care about DX9 support. As a minimum you'll
want a FX5700 or 6200. A stripped down (i.e. cheap) 6800GS or 6800XT will
be better.

All good info here. Was at the show yesterday and saw GF2 cards that
didn't even have a heat sink on chip. Other unidentified nVidia cards
with 32MB and chip-fans. Most were $10, $12 or $15. Will keep looking
around. Here's a link on AGP slot compatibility.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/a...atibility.html

I must do more homework here. Let's state the issue once again: Looking
for an upgraded nVidia card to replace OEM 32MB Riva TNT2 in the form
of a Diamond Viper 770, in an AGP 1.0 slot, on dual-Xeon UW-SCSI main-
board... possibly with 64MB or 128MB of VRAM.

-G

[email protected] September 30th 07 04:28 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:33:22 +0200, Benjamin Gawert
brought the following to our attention:

:

Am looking for a GeForce 3 to replace an nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB, which is
a stock Dell OEM, Diamond Viper 770. The platform is a dual 500MHz Xeon
workstation with SCSI hard drives..

Here's a view:
http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg

I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but
at that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
belongs to my son.

What are you going to do with the HP card?

still working GREAT, running Win2k Pro. Application is mainly for
FlightSim v8 and v9. Don't expect a lot more FPS, but more VRAM
and hence, more scenery.

What is to be gained in a GeForce3?

Not much. The Geforce3 is outdated.

ANd how much video RAM was available typically with the GF3?

32MB and 64MB.

Would like 64MB, 128 or even 256MB if there was such a thing.

Even if there were one, big memory is just useless if the GPU is slow.

I think you're right. I had a 64MB GeForce3 for about a week and was so
focused on frame-rate, and oblivious to scenery range detail, that it go
returned. No increase in framerate going from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF3.

Am going to a local computer `show and sale´ this weekend and next.
Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)

Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok? As
stated, lots of VRAM may put a great load on the 500MHz CPUs.
Please comment further.

-G

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert September 30th 07 05:38 PM

Looking for a GeForce 3

* :

Here's a view:
http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg

Hmm...a Dell Precision, nice machines, at that time we had several of
them in some departments.

I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but
at that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
belongs to my son.

What are you going to do with the HP card?

Don't know, maybe use it to replace the dead VisualizeFX10 in my Kayak
XU (2x P2-333). At that time these cards were just kicking ass in OpenGL
applications. Sadly, they only do that - OpenGL. No Direct3D. They were
good cards under WindowsNT but I wouldn't want to use them in W2k or
even Winxp.

I think you're right. I had a 64MB GeForce3 for about a week and was so
focused on frame-rate, and oblivious to scenery range detail, that it go
returned. No increase in framerate going from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF3.

Well, it's very likely that the rest of the system is the bottleneck
here. The memory bus is just painfully slow as are the CPUs. But then,
we're talking about a 1999 aera computer here.

Am going to a local computer `show and sale´ this weekend and next.
Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)

Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok?

Yes, sure. But I'd strongly recommend to buy there where you can return
the card for cash if you see no benefit from it.

As
stated, lots of VRAM may put a great load on the 500MHz CPUs.

No, it doesn't. But lots of VRAM doesn't help if the GPU (the gfx chip)
isn't fast enough. Gfx memory isn't the only variable that decides about
performance, indeed it's more the architecture of the GPU and the clock
rate of GPU and gfx RAM. And as always, a chain is only as good as it's
weakes part, so the fastest gfx card won't help if the system itself is
too slow.

Please comment further.

Honestly, it's probably time to move on to a better system.

Benjamin

[email protected] October 1st 07 11:34 AM

Looking for a GeForce 3

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:38:21 +0200, Benjamin Gawert
brought the following to our attention:

* :

Here's a view:
http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg

Hmm...a Dell Precision, nice machines, at that time we had several of
them in some departments.

I just installed a 4x internal, 1x internal USB 2.0 PCI card yesterday.
Picked that up at the `show.´

I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but
at that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
belongs to my son.

What are you going to do with the HP card?

Don't know, maybe use it to replace the dead VisualizeFX10 in my Kayak
XU (2x P2-333). At that time these cards were just kicking ass in OpenGL
applications. Sadly, they only do that - OpenGL. No Direct3D. They were
good cards under WindowsNT but I wouldn't want to use them in W2k or
even Winxp.

I think you're right. I had a 64MB GeForce3 for about a week and was so
focused on frame-rate, and oblivious to scenery range detail, that it got
returned. No increase in framerate going from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF3.

Well, it's very likely that the rest of the system is the bottleneck
here. The memory bus is just painfully slow as are the CPUs. But then,
we're talking about a 1999 aera computer here.

ABove should read `GOT returned.´

Am going to a local computer `show and sale´ this weekend and next.
Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)
Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

I looked at some fx 5200 yesterday at the local techie store. The
smallest one had 128MB but needed a AGP 2.0 socket.

Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok?

Yes, sure. But I'd strongly recommend to buy there where you can return
the card for cash if you see no benefit from it.

I'd like to find one at the PC show for 20-bucks.

As stated, lots of VRAM may put a great load on the 500MHz CPUs.

No, it doesn't. But lots of VRAM doesn't help if the GPU (the gfx chip)
isn't fast enough. Gfx memory isn't the only variable that decides about
performance, indeed it's more the architecture of the GPU and the clock
rate of GPU and gfx RAM. And as always, a chain is only as good as it's
weakes part, so the fastest gfx card won't help if the system itself is
too slow.

Please comment further.

Honestly, it's probably time to move on to a better system.

Benjamin

Now I'm discourages. :(

Will still look around for a semi-old 128MB nVidia card, maybe of the
dx9 type, to replace the 32MB Riva TNT2 (Diamond Viper 770)
http://www.rivastation.com/review/v7...v770_board.gif

-G

First of One[_2_] October 2nd 07 02:32 AM

Looking for a GeForce 3

Says who? Is the AGP connector physically keyed to be unusable in your
motherboard?