HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   processor damaged? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=157224)

Rhapsodiano September 12th 07 12:33 PM

processor damaged?

Hi, I have a question for you that's a bit important,
I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A1630 notebook with a AMD Athlon 64 3700+
installed (running Vista x64 and Ubuntu 7.04). Two days ago, I was
playing with a game and suddently the PC shut down. I turned it on again
and I had the same problem, and since that day this problem occurs every
time the processor is used in a heavy way (only using it @ 800Mhz seems
to keep the machine alive).
I used RMClock in order to run the processor at its real speed (2400mhz)
because Windows Vista does not provide Cool 'n' Quiet Drivers to do it.
The same problem occures now also in Ubuntu, that in the loading phase
shuts down when a fast processor speed is required.
I started thinking that the problem could be connected with a damage
occured to the CPU the first time it shut down while playing that game -
maybe for a overheating reason.
Someone could help me?
Thanks a lot!!!

General Schvantzkoph September 12th 07 02:15 PM

processor damaged?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:33:29 +0000, Rhapsodiano wrote:

[...]

It's a heat sink problem not a CPU problem. I had a similar problem on my
Compaq R3000z (A64 3400+). The heat sink was full of dust. I removed the
heatsink, cleaned it off, cleaned the surface of the CPU and the bottom
of the heatsink with alcohol, put on a little Zalman thermal compound and
reattached the heatsink. I can now run the system at the maximum clock
rate under full load, prior to doing the cleanup job the system would
crash at clock speeds greater than 1.8GHz.

Laptops have small heatsinks so there isn't any margin, if they are dusty
they can't do the job. Unfortunately you can't just vacuum the dust out,
the cooler assembly is buried inside of the laptop. You will have to go
to the Fujitsu site and find their maintenance manual. On the Compaq the
job turned out to be fairly easy, all I had to do was remove the back of
the laptop. The cooler was held in place by four spring mounted screws,
it was actually a lot easier to get it off and back on then it is with a
desktop cooler.

Rhapsodiano September 12th 07 03:28 PM

processor damaged?

General Schvantzkoph ha scritto:
[...]

It is exactly what I did, in my case I also removed the heatsink,
cleaned it and verified the contact with the processor. Now it works
much better than before (the noise it produces is much better and it
generates much more air).
But the problem was not solved.

General Schvantzkoph September 12th 07 03:41 PM

processor damaged?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:28:51 +0000, Rhapsodiano wrote:

[...]

You might want to try a better thermal compound, Arctic Silver or
something like that. Also make sure that you don't use too much thermal
paste, a little dab will do ya.

Wes Newell September 12th 07 08:08 PM

processor damaged?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:28:51 +0000, Rhapsodiano wrote:

Hi, I have a question for you that's a bit important, I have a Fujitsu
Siemens Amilo A1630 notebook with a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ installed

It is exactly what I did, in my case I also removed the heatsink,
cleaned it and verified the contact with the processor. Now it works
much better than before (the noise it produces is much better and it
generates much more air).
But the problem was not solved.

Reading some info on this laptop says it shipped with a 3000+ to 3400+ A64
cpu. It appears to be a socket 754 board using the sis 755 chipset. If
you've really got a 3700+ in it that could be the problem. If it's
shutting down due to thermal overload in the cpu itself, then there's just
not enough cooling for the cpu. I assumed you've monitored the temps and
can verify that is the problem. If so, I'd replace the old power hungry
3700+(or whichever) clawhammer core cpu with one of the newer low wattage
core models that run a lot cooler and takes less power to run. the 3700+
(and other clawhammer cores) use 89W of power. There's a 67W model 3400+
that also runs at 2.4GH and should run a lot cooler. This assumes your
bios will support it. You may have to upgrade the bios first if possible.
What you really need to do is look at the pc temps and voltages first to
decide what the real problem is. I had one shutdown on my desktop when the
cooler fan failed. It took a while to heat up and I noticed it, but I
couldn't get the fan replaced before it shut down at somewhere over 60C. I
assume you used some sort of thermal interface material between the cooler
and CPU. If not, that's your problem. Don't need anything fancy. I use
wheel bearing grease and it works as good as any and won't dry out. The
Valvoline I use is 30+ years old. Works great.