HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What's the deal wwith Cyberpower? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=120652)

Bill H February 21st 06 03:58 AM

What's the deal wwith Cyberpower?

Well the subjectssaid it all?

WooHoo2You February 21st 06 07:57 AM

What's the deal wwith Cyberpower?

"Bill H" wrote in message
news:GdwKf.36995$Dh.9100@dukeread04...
Well the subjectssaid it all?

Well, yes it did.

I am having rather mixed luck with them.

1) System took 20 days to ship, not 5 to 10 like their website advertises
for standard build time. Funny thing is, I contacted them a few times and
they just kept saying "in a few days," "in a few days." However, when I
started researching the case, and contacted them with questions such as "why
is does my case have 50 watts less power then the case ships with retail,"
and "why am I paying 9 dollars more for three extra case fans when the case
ships with five fans and, only has space for those five fans." (I only have
four case fans now, and the case should have 5.) I never got a reply to
this email, but my system was built, tested, and a final 24 hour "burn in"
test was done 12 hours after I contacted them on these issues. The burn in
test was completed after FedEx picked-up the package.......

2) Two tech support emails, no reply.

3) Random crashing. Never in games, seems to be IE, Outlook Express, and
Firefox mainly. Do not know why.

4) Would have paid much more if I had built the system myself.

5) The case that I picked had two front temp readouts, one for the CPU, the
other for a hard drive. However the one for the CPU was taped to an empty
drive cage. (also in one of the emails, of course no reply)

6) Never crashed during a game. (okay, a few times but I had just patched
BF2 and was messing with overclock settings and NVIDIA profiles) After I
reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver the problem disapeared.

7) Fast as hell

8) Some systems have free shipping and other don't, however all are 100
configureable. Did not find this out until after FedEx had my package.
They did not reply to that email either. Hell it was only 65 dollars. You
know what, I think I will have a long call with them tomorrow.

8) Don't know what the hell to tell you.

BTW, Dual core is the way to go.

--
WooHoo2You

AMD 3800 X2
Asus A8n-SLI Premium
1 Gig ram (2x512)
200 GB HD SATA
160 GB HD SATA (new from CompUSA, my MP3's need love too)
GeForce 6800 256MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (pulled from old PC)
Win XP Pro

Gojira February 21st 06 07:00 PM

What's the deal wwith Cyberpower?

Check their ratings at sites like ResellerRatings.com.Not very high,I've
heard too many horror stories of bad systems and terrible support to ever
risk my money with them.

Bill H February 21st 06 08:08 PM

"Bill H" wrote in message
Well the subjectssaid it all?

Thanks that what I expected going to go fedaral and end there reighn.

DP February 22nd 06 09:31 AM

"Bill H" wrote in message
Well the subjectssaid it all?

Ah, yes. Cyberpower. I'd so forgotten about them.
My experience with them was basically good, but troubling.
The computer arrived with a dead CD-burner. When I was finally able to get
in touch with tech support, they told me to send the drive back and they'd
send me a new one. I did and installed it myself. However, I can see how
that might be a troubling experience for someone not accustomed to opening a
case and actually putting a screwdriver to delicate electronice components.
But my machine worked fine after that. And the price was great.
Looking at various user comments about them after that, I saw that some
people had big problems with them, others had small problems like mine. We
all were lured by the price, which seems to beat everyone else.
This is obviously not a fly-by-night operation if you judge it by the amount
of full-page, full-color ads they by in magazines. (Note: IBuyPower.com is
the same company and they also buy lots of ads in the same mags where
Cyberpower ads are running.) Unless the computer mags are giving away the
pages, I'm thinking that's a hell of a lot of money the company has on hand
to shell out. I just wish they would put more money into customer service
and into making sure they're not using components that have a tendency to be
DOA or to fry quickly (at least according to the complaints I'd seen).
I was really tempted to roll the dice and buy a second computer from them
last year until I came across KC Computers, http://www.kc-computers.com/ .
Check out their ratings on resellerratings.com and you'll see lots of
satisified customers.

And yes, Cyberpower's 24-hour burn-in seems to be a lie, judging from how
quickly they get the machines out the door after you order. On the plus
side, that means you get your machine sooner. On the minus: if you think
you're getting a more reliable machine because of the burn-in time, you're
not.

My Cyberpower machine was still running fine as of last August. So was the
machine I bought from KC. Unfortunately, both were lost to Hurricane Katrina
and I have since replaced those two machines with purchases from KC
Computers.

Gojira February 22nd 06 06:42 PM

What's the deal wwith Cyberpower?

"DP" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill H" wrote in message
[...]

KC Computers does have excellent ratings and a large selection of
components.Their prices are somewhat higher,though not as inflated as
companies like Alienware.Envision Computers is another good builder with
great ratings.Monarch used to be good,but they've really let things slip in
quality and support,they're quickly becoming another Cyberpower,the price
seems good,but once they get your money,they could care less about how well
your system works.

DP February 22nd 06 06:52 PM

"Gojira" wrote in message

KC Computers does have excellent ratings and a large selection of
components.Their prices are somewhat higher,though not as inflated as
companies like Alienware.

Yeah. Even K C himself admits that. The good thing about him is the support.
Read the reseller ratings comments and you'll see lots of people (including
me) have been able to reach him whenever they need him via email.