CD-rom/dvd player
Zalman CPU cooler
OS redhat (esx server vmware)

Kris Vorwerk December 19th 04 02:26 PM

3 hard drives, 2GB of RAM, and an 8knxp on a 300W power supply?

I'm tempted to think that you're under-powered... (I personally use an
Antec 430W on a system with very similar specs, and it's been quite
stable.)

regards,
Kris

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 13:06 +0000, herman@somedomain. wrote:
My second mobo GA-8KNXP Ultra rev 2.0 died :( within a week
error continuous short beeps

could it be a lack of juice? -- anyone have an idea about this ??

i'm using zalman powerunit 300 W (see below my system)

My 1st mobo:cpu fan power failure and later cmos error. it was replaced by gigabyte the sec. time, and now again

Zalman power 300 Watt
4*512 MB Kingston DDR PC3200 cl3.0
10 GB IDE HD
37 GB U320 Maxtor
74 GB U320 Maxtor
CD-rom/dvd player
Zalman CPU cooler
OS redhat (esx server vmware)

Bob Davis December 19th 04 06:56 PM

herman@somedomain. wrote in message
| My second mobo GA-8KNXP Ultra rev 2.0 died :( within a week
| error continuous short beeps could it be a lack of juice? anyone have
an idea
| about this ??
|
| i'm using zalman powerunit 300 W (see below my system)
|
| My 1st mobo:cpu fan power failure and later cmos error. it was replaced
by
| gigabyte the sec. time, and now again
|
| Zalman power 300 Watt
| 4*512 MB Kingston DDR PC3200 cl3.0
| 10 GB IDE HD
| 37 GB U320 Maxtor
| 74 GB U320 Maxtor
| CD-rom/dvd player
| Zalman CPU cooler
| OS redhat (esx server vmware)

I agree with Kris that you're probably underpowered. I have a very similar
system (2gb RAM, three HDD's, Zalman HSF, etc.) except its a rev. 1
non-Ultra powered by an Antec TruePower 480, and it has been rock solid for
over 18 months. With three HDD's and 2gb RAM, I'd want a top-drawer PSU
with of least 430w, preferrably 480w or higher.

You might also try running it without the DPS2 daughterboard, if it is
attached, just to see if it makes any difference. I'm not using it here,
mostly because of its interference with the Zalman HSF.

NightSky 421 December 20th 04 01:52 AM

herman@somedomain. wrote in message
My second mobo GA-8KNXP Ultra rev 2.0 died :( within a week
error continuous short beeps

could it be a lack of juice? -- anyone have an idea about this ??

I have to agree that it is probably underpowered, especially when we don't
know what video card you are using. It's too bad that guys like Greg
Vederman of PC Gamer magazine are still recommending 300W power supplies in
both low-end and mid-range gaming computers. I could not do as such in good
conscience.