HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   server (tower case) power supply? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197532)

[email protected] June 26th 16 02:05 AM

server (tower case) power supply?

I bought a box of computer parts at a garage sale. I guess it came
from a business: it had things like KVM switch and 8-port GbE routers.
There was a strange power supply. It was 550 W but had no 6-pin plugs
for graphics cards. It had 8 SATA connectors and 4 PATA molex connectors,
which were on very long cables, at least a metre.
I presume this was made specially for servers in tall tower cases.

Paul June 26th 16 02:15 AM

wrote:
I bought a box of computer parts at a garage sale. I guess it came
from a business: it had things like KVM switch and 8-port GbE routers.
There was a strange power supply. It was 550 W but had no 6-pin plugs
for graphics cards. It had 8 SATA connectors and 4 PATA molex connectors,
which were on very long cables, at least a metre.
I presume this was made specially for servers in tall tower cases.

Why not take the part number off the label
on the supply, and do a Google search ?
The adverts you find, might classify it for you.

Paul

Flasherly[_2_] June 26th 16 03:26 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 18:05:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It was 550 W but had no 6-pin plugs
for graphics cards. It had 8 SATA connectors and 4 PATA molex connectors,
which were on very long cables, at least a metre.

Check the weight, too. I've seen relatively small server power
supplies that weigh two, three times heavier a counterpart to
non-industrial builds. And it might be worth two or three times the
price, and then some... worth tracking down if you're so lucky.

Mr. Man-wai Chang June 26th 16 01:35 PM

On 26/06/2016 9:05 AM, wrote:
There was a strange power supply. It was 550 W but had no 6-pin plugs
for graphics cards. It had 8 SATA connectors and 4 PATA molex connectors,
which were on very long cables, at least a metre.
I presume this was made specially for servers in tall tower cases.

Dimensions of the metal box?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

[email protected] July 2nd 16 04:39 AM

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 10:26:15 AM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:

Check the weight, too. I've seen relatively small server power
supplies that weigh two, three times heavier a counterpart to
non-industrial builds. And it might be worth two or three times the
price, and then some... worth tracking down if you're so lucky.

Yes it is rather heavy. I recall somebody posting in a blog many years
ago that weight was a good indicator of quality, as the cheap crap uses
lighter components.
And in reply to another reply, it was a bit battered, and the label was
gouged right where the model number is, so could not look it up.