HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How good are SATA drives compared to IDE drives? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=3569)

Dunny Rummy February 12th 04 11:15 AM

How good are SATA drives compared to IDE drives?

I would like to try a Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB drive but
would like to know if they are better than the IDE drive I am using.
My mobo supports SATA (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007) and has a
primary SATA and secondary SATA. What is the better usage for a SATA
drive (i.e. for OS or data)? Can a Primary SATA be drive "C:\"? Can I
configure my mobo so that the raptor will be the primary drive over
the primary IDE If I use it for my operating system or is it better to
use a SATA Raptor as a logical drive for data storage?
TIA.

Noozer February 12th 04 08:03 PM

"Dunny Rummy" wrote in message
I would like to try a Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB drive but
would like to know if they are better than the IDE drive I am using.
My mobo supports SATA (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007) and has a
primary SATA and secondary SATA. What is the better usage for a SATA
drive (i.e. for OS or data)? Can a Primary SATA be drive "C:\"? Can I
configure my mobo so that the raptor will be the primary drive over
the primary IDE If I use it for my operating system or is it better to
use a SATA Raptor as a logical drive for data storage?

Raptor drive is good for FAST access... Best used for a system drive or
capture drive for video editing, etc.

For storage, any PATA or SATA drive will be fine as long at it's 7200rpm and
8meg cache. For data that you rarely access even the old 5400rpm 2meg drives
would be fine.