HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   RS485 cable (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=22095)

Erik Janssen November 29th 04 07:07 PM

RS485 cable

Hello,
I need to connect some units with RS485 and in the user guide I have found
the following text regarding the cable to use:
"Wire gauge size is thicker than AWG #22 (0.33 mm2)."

I wonder what "AWG" is, is this a kind of a cable or specification?

Best Regards

jpsga November 29th 04 08:51 PM

AWG-American Wire Gauge.
The lower the number the heavier the wire, and the more current it can
handle without over heating.
In the US, #14 AWG carries 15 AMPS.
JPS

Michael Hawes November 29th 04 09:26 PM

"Erik Janssen" wrote in message
Hello,
I need to connect some units with RS485 and in the user guide I have found
the following text regarding the cable to use:
"Wire gauge size is thicker than AWG #22 (0.33 mm2)."

I wonder what "AWG" is, is this a kind of a cable or specification?

Best Regards

Cable spec, just Google AWG, or try this:-
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/awg_e.html
Mike.

David Maynard November 29th 04 09:44 PM

Erik Janssen wrote:
Hello,
I need to connect some units with RS485 and in the user guide I have found
the following text regarding the cable to use:
"Wire gauge size is thicker than AWG #22 (0.33 mm2)."

I wonder what "AWG" is, is this a kind of a cable or specification?

Best Regards

AWG = American Wire Gauge. It is the cross sectional area of the wire. I.E.
AWG 22 means a .33 mm2 wire.

Wire size decreases with increasing number.

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

It sounds 'backwards' but it derives from how wire was made. Wire was drawn
through a die containing a hole of the appropriate diameter but one could
reduce the wire size by only so much with each draw. So the gauge 'number'
roughly translated to how many die drawing steps it took to reduce the
original rod ('0' gauge) to the resultant wire size (in theory, 22 gauge
took 22 die reductions to get there). Those original 'gauges' were not
uniform and they've since been standardized (mid 1800s) and no longer
directly relate to the actual making but, rather, to a geometric
progression of the wire size itself: each next wire diameter is 0.890522
the previous (in AWG).

John Borowski December 11th 04 08:45 AM

"Erik Janssen" wrote in message
| I wonder what "AWG" is, is this a kind of a cable or specification?

Well, AWG stands for "American Wire Guage" ... basically a standard
sizing spec...