HardwareBanter

-   Abit Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Problem with KV8 PRO (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=170127)

Roger Bowen July 4th 08 03:27 AM

Problem with KV8 PRO

Greetings All,

The problem I am seeing is that the machine sort of starts, gets nowhere and
then attempts to restart.
The machine has an Abit KV8PRO with an Athlon 64 3000+

The Post Code display is:
0.1.
8.3.
5
Click click
0.1

The explanation of the Post Code available on the abit website indicates
that the Power supply may be faulty.
Has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks in advance
Roger

Logan[_2_] July 28th 08 06:03 PM

Problem with KV8 PRO

Roger Bowen wrote:
Greetings All,

The problem I am seeing is that the machine sort of starts, gets nowhere and
then attempts to restart.
The machine has an Abit KV8PRO with an Athlon 64 3000+

The Post Code display is:
0.1.
8.3.
5
Click click
0.1

The explanation of the Post Code available on the abit website indicates
that the Power supply may be faulty.
Has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks in advance
Roger

More than likely is a problem with the power supply. I would look for
the capacitors around the CPU socket to see if they are leaking (sort of
a brownish reside) or swollen. If in deed this appears to be the case,
The CAPS can purchased and replaced. It takes extremely good soldering
skills a very low wattage iron and a lot of patience. You can also try
to find a GOOD PC repair shop and let them do it. Problem is that
finding a good repair shop is like trying to find a good doctor or
attorney. The cost to have someone else do it is probably more than the
cost of a replacement main board.

Logan[_2_] July 28th 08 06:07 PM

Problem with KV8 PRO

Logan wrote:
Roger Bowen wrote:
[...]

A little additional note--It's reporting a bad power supply, but what
happening is that the voltage is being drug down by the defective
components on the motherboard therefore it reports it as a bad power supply.