HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   asus p2b rev. 1.04 only two short beeps... (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=145514)

Henk J.van Dijk February 10th 07 01:36 PM

asus p2b rev. 1.04 only two short beeps...

It's an old comp, I know. But with some jobs to do. Asus p2b rev. 1.04.

I only get some beeps (two short ones), and no videopicture and even no
post. The video card , the monitor is oké.
(When I look for the meaning of the two beeps, I read "Parity circuit
failure", but the memory is in for ages without problems.)

At the moment I really don't know what more relevant things to give. Can
somebody give me a clue how to fix the problem?
I Would be very pleased. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Henk

Henk J.van Dijk February 10th 07 01:43 PM

some more info ( asus p2b rev. 1.04 only two short beeps...)

I changed the info:

It's an old comp, I know. But with some jobs to do. Asus p2b rev. 1.04.

I only get some beeps (two short ones), and no videopicture and even no
post. The video card , the monitor is oké.
(When I look for the meaning of the two beeps, I read "Parity circuit
failure", but the memory is in for ages without problems.)

I suppose it's a AWARDbios and for that I read: two short beeps - Non-Fatal
Error (reseat RAM, check other components)
(I took out the memory and after replacing the same beeps -to short ones)

BillyZoom February 11th 07 12:32 AM

some more info ( asus p2b rev. 1.04 only two short beeps...)

"Henk J.van Dijk" wrote in message
I changed the info:

It's an old comp, I know. But with some jobs to do. Asus p2b rev. 1.04.

I only get some beeps (two short ones), and no videopicture and even no
post. The video card , the monitor is oké.
(When I look for the meaning of the two beeps, I read "Parity circuit
failure", but the memory is in for ages without problems.)

I suppose it's a AWARDbios and for that I read: two short beeps -
Non-Fatal
Error (reseat RAM, check other components)
(I took out the memory and after replacing the same beeps -to short ones)

At the moment I really don't know what more relevant things to give. Can
somebody give me a clue how to fix the problem?
I Would be very pleased. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Henk

Most likely you have a counterfeit motherboard (Fake).

http://www.plasma-online.de/english/..._fake_p2b.html

You could have anything from bad capacitors, wrong cpu (jumpers) and a bad
bios flash.

Being a fake board don't waste your & the newsgroups time.

Henk J.van Dijk February 11th 07 10:22 AM

some more info ( asus p2b rev. 1.04 only two short beeps...)

[BillyZoom]

Most likely you have a counterfeit motherboard (Fake).

http://www.plasma-online.de/english/..._fake_p2b.html

You could have anything from bad capacitors, wrong cpu (jumpers) and a bad
bios flash.

Being a fake board don't waste your & the newsgroups time.

Thank you. But if I may ;-) The motherboard (computer) has done it's many
jobs for years in good order (no fake one, only old). On it quite a lot
programs stil very useful to run on this comp, so I stil hope it's to fix.

The beeps can be anything I pick up from you. I quess then that is is a bad
capacitor (then it's the end) or a bios flash problem. I wander if those
things can come from a empty battery?

Anyway, the POST stops before the monitor starts. So I can not see anything.
QUESTION, if I may: is it possible to flash the bios again? (Not needed of
course if it is not possible that a for years good working bios flash go's
wrong.)
If a possible solution, can you (or somebody else) give me a place to figure
out the correct flasher and bios version?

Thanks for any help.

With kind regards, Henk

---------------------------------
[Henk J.van Dijk]

BillyZoom February 11th 07 06:12 PM

some more info ( asus p2b rev. 1.04 only two short beeps...)

"Henk J.van Dijk" wrote in message

snip

Thank you. But if I may ;-) The motherboard (computer) has done it's many
jobs for years in good order (no fake one, only old). On it quite a lot
programs stil very useful to run on this comp, so I stil hope it's to fix.

Pull the motherboard out and examine it to see if it's a fake. Being a Rev
1.04 most likely it is.
The Asus FTP sites have a .pdf about the fake board.
I have one, found a case with a Rev 1.04 motherboard in the dumpster at work
(Hospital).
Also check all the capacitors (with a magnifying glass) looking for bulging
and fluid leakage (tan/brown) at the tops & sides. Go to badcaps.net if
it's ever up again to read all about bad caps and re-capping boards.

The beeps can be anything I pick up from you. I quess then that is is a
bad
capacitor (then it's the end) or a bios flash problem. I wander if those
things can come from a empty battery?

Anyway, the POST stops before the monitor starts. So I can not see
anything.

A known good battery is always a help.
Check CPU & jumpers. The fake board has funky jumper settings.
Try reseating the video card, or a different video card. Reseat memory or
try different SDRAM modules etc.
Maybe a old 2mb PCI video may get it to show post. BIOS sometimes defaults
to PCI at boot thus no video from AGP.

QUESTION, if I may: is it possible to flash the bios again? (Not needed
of
course if it is not possible that a for years good working bios flash go's
wrong.)

BIOS flash gone bad due to it being a fake board and someone trying to force
flash the BIOS with a universal flash program that failed. Do you know the
ownership/histroy of this board?
ASUS offers no BIOS updates for a Rev. 1.04 motherboard. Any other Rev. BIOS
will not work with the standard Award Flash utility. Believe me I've tried
them all.

If a possible solution, can you (or somebody else) give me a place to
figure
out the correct flasher and bios version?

Google is your friend. Or enemy in this case.

Again don't waste your time on a fake board. Find a ASUS P2B-F,L,N,S etc.
motherboard and swap over all your components.
I have several P2B-F's (another find during a storeroom cleanout) just make
sure you eyeball the caps closely if you plan on spending $$$ on one.

Thanks for any help.

With kind regards, Henk

Note: Most likely the P2B Rev. 1.04 motherboard was a flawed production run
that was scrapped and someone salvaged the lot and re-sold them.

Good Luck!