HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   6400R questions (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=60021)

alewis February 9th 05 01:26 AM

6400R questions

Hi

New here, but looks like a good forum :-)

Just acquired a 6400R server, fitted with 2 x PIII Xeon 500 2mb CPUs.

What is the max CPU speed this server will take? I'm wondering if ROM
upgrade (or unspecified DIP settings) will allow better than the 5.5x100 -
specifically I'm looking for 7x100 so I can use a pair of 700MHz Xeons - I
find 500MHz a little slow for MS SBS2003. In turn, SBS2003 wont use four
CPUS

Anyone had any luck using MegaRAID cards in a Compaq box? I have an
Enterprise 1600 U160 that has issues (gets to 75% scanning SCSI devices,
than takes 1hr to complete). Flashed with latest BIOS which lengthend
this time! An Elite 1600 has no issues (even with Dell PERC firmware).

Any ideas where I can get a replacement optical drive? DVD and/or CD-R
would be nice, but even better would be a slimline SCSI device.... IDE is
crap for OS installation, especially in PIO mode.

Thanks in advance
Brgds
Alan

And if it wont go higher than 550MHz, anyone interested in a matched pair
of PIII 933MHz 256kb Xeons?

NuTCrAcKeR February 9th 05 05:45 PM

"alewis" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
Hi

New here, but looks like a good forum :-)

Just acquired a 6400R server, fitted with 2 x PIII Xeon 500 2mb CPUs.

What is the max CPU speed this server will take? I'm wondering if ROM
upgrade (or unspecified DIP settings) will allow better than the 5.5x100 -
specifically I'm looking for 7x100 so I can use a pair of 700MHz Xeons - I
find 500MHz a little slow for MS SBS2003. In turn, SBS2003 wont use four
CPUS

No. If you want PIII700/900 CPU support, it would have to be a DL580 G1.

Anyone had any luck using MegaRAID cards in a Compaq box? I have an
Enterprise 1600 U160 that has issues (gets to 75% scanning SCSI devices,
than takes 1hr to complete). Flashed with latest BIOS which lengthend
this time! An Elite 1600 has no issues (even with Dell PERC firmware).

just get an SA4200. They are cheap. There is no good reason to not use a CPQ
controller in that server.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement optical drive? DVD and/or CD-R
would be nice, but even better would be a slimline SCSI device.... IDE is
crap for OS installation, especially in PIO mode.

replacement? As in the drive itself? or, the whole tray that has the CD and
Floppy ? I have several 24x Drives that will work.

I too have a 6400R.

Thanks in advance
Brgds
Alan

And if it wont go higher than 550MHz, anyone interested in a matched pair
of PIII 933MHz 256kb Xeons?

oh, man ... those chips run on a 133FSB ... Even the DL580 wouldnt be able
to use those.

alewis February 14th 05 09:20 PM

Oh well.

Anyone want some Xeons?

2 x PIII 933 133Mhz FSB
2 x PIII 700 100Mhz FSB

MikeR February 15th 05 04:42 AM

"alewis" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
Oh well.

Anyone want some Xeons?

2 x PIII 933 133Mhz FSB
2 x PIII 700 100Mhz FSB

Got any Xeon 500's with the 2 meg cache for a Compaq 6500R?