HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   dell h1483 microprocessor part number? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=165033)

sleeve February 11th 08 07:03 PM

dell h1483 microprocessor part number?

Hello,

I have a scrapped cpu chip, intel's --- from a dell machine. It's
dell number is "H1483"

It is a 2.4 g hz processor, and has 512k cache...533 mhz buss.
I need a bit of assistance in choosing a mobo.
I think it's a mpga 478 pin package, and just need to know what intel
mobo I can match to the uprocessor.
I have looked at intel's site, and I get a lot of info, but it's way
confusing. TOo much info is just that. I don't know how to figure this
out. Please help someone. Thanks.

steve

Paul February 11th 08 10:55 PM

sleeve wrote:
Hello,

I have a scrapped cpu chip, intel's --- from a dell machine. It's
dell number is "H1483"

It is a 2.4 g hz processor, and has 512k cache...533 mhz buss.
I need a bit of assistance in choosing a mobo.
I think it's a mpga 478 pin package, and just need to know what intel
mobo I can match to the uprocessor.
I have looked at intel's site, and I get a lot of info, but it's way
confusing. TOo much info is just that. I don't know how to figure this
out. Please help someone. Thanks.

steve

The "H1483" number would be a Dell number. Intel puts its numbers on
the label on the top of the chip. Fortunately, this Ebay sale mentions
the chip is a Northwood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/H1483-Processor-...QQcmdZViewItem

To see an example of the top of an Intel chip, you can see the top of this
one is marked with "SL8ZH".

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...d_805_core.jpg

Your chip might be something like this. The SSPEC is a five character
code, on the top of the chip. The code would be SLxxx in format.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL6DV

Using the CPUSupport page on the Asus site...

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

I can get a list of motherboards like this, for socket 478. I don't
know if Intel has a database like that, for their Intel branded
motherboards. (An Intel D845 or D865 or D875 family board, would
be examples of ones that might be candidates.)

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

Taking a quick look on Pricewatch, I did find an S478 board here.
The advert claims it is an Asus P4SD with 865PE chipset, but
I suspect it may be an OEM board. To get a BIOS update for an
OEM board, you have to go to the company that used the OEM board
in a computer build (like HP). You can certainly use a board like
this, but support would be shaky.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=ASUS-P4SD-WB-R

This is as near as I could come on the HP site. HP uses a P4SD-LA
in some of their old computers. The picture is not an exact match
for that Geeks item. So, you can purchase the Geeks board, and it should
run a FSB533 or FSB800 S478 processor, but if you needed a BIOS update,
I don't really know where you'd look (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

Good luck,
Paul