HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Server Boards, SCSI, RAID, and building a server - questions (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=14852)

nope July 6th 03 03:15 AM

Server Boards, SCSI, RAID, and building a server - questions

So I suppose I think I am ready to 'kick it up a notch' ,and build a LAN
server.

After exhuastive months of research, I finally settled on a design; dual
xeons, lotsa ram, Windows Server 2003, and then I got to this RAID thang...
well anyway let me ask away.

1) The old IDE vs. SCSI Raid deal - I think I understand that IDE is a poor
option for raid. Just don't be a 'poor' buyer, because the price is
diffferent by multiples. What IS the story? Intel has a great board with
IDE raid, but I'm scared after reading stuff about non-scsi onbaord raid.
I've pretty much settled on the Supermicro board with onboard Ultra 320 SCSI
controllere, Adaptec 2010S RAID card....is that too complicated?

2) on that note, I want to have a pair of paired,striped drives (2 striped
mirrored to 2 striped) - is that Raid 0+1? Can a dual channel RAID card do
this? How difficult is that to set up? Is it insane to even consider this
for IDE? My God, its almost 800 bucks for the 4 scsi drives.

3) My network will be fiber optic. No I'm not smoking crack, I found a way
to do it cheap. If I have a copper connection on the mtherboard, can I use
this to institute wireless connections? In this case would I need a WAP or
a Wireless DSL/Cable type switch? Uh oh this is a networking question -
sorry. Any little bit helps though. I tried it with a WAP and the client
would actually get an IP from the DHCP server, but couldn't communicate.
But agaio a WAP is intended to poke into a copper swich/hub as a client
would. Can't do that with FO switch.

4) and on THAT note, I see that many popular boards have dual LAN
connectiosn... is it possible to have two seperate switches/hubs hooked up,
one to each? This goes along with the whole wireless thing too.

I appreciate any input. I've built about 5 systems in the past 4 months,
and have at least ten to my credit over the years. Anyone remember the old
1X CD-ROM "bundles"? Mine came with a sound card. Oooo! And Privateer LOL -
anyway, I have constructed a Win 2.3k server test bed and a xp client with
the fiberoptic connection and that works smoooooth as silk. Just download
the daily "updates" to fix the holes and I'll be fine LOLOL.

Thanks in advance - hope I asked my questions clearly!