HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198755)

x13 April 1st 18 12:25 AM

Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton?

Paul: WOW !!

I thought somebody might reply, but you gave me a whole moderlode of info!
Thanks a lot!!

I sort of knew splitting a dual-link DVI into 2x HDMI's probably wouldn't work as they are different technologies and therefore use different signals/resolutions, but it was a nice idea...

I'll be honest: I completely forgot about the "multi-display adapter" Kensington sells. I wonder if anyone (you perhaps?) have experience with these adapters?

I like the fact that it's USB3 (it would have to be to avoid video lag). So all I would have to do is get that adapter, and convert the HDMI to DVI with a simple adapter and I'd be in business, right?

Although... I'd like to be reassured by the feedback of someone who has actually done this.

Thanks.
x13
(please reply in thread)

Adrian Caspersz April 1st 18 01:00 AM

On 01/04/18 00:25, x13 wrote:
Paul: WOW !!

I thought somebody might reply, but you gave me a whole moderlode of info!
Thanks a lot!!

I sort of knew splitting a dual-link DVI into 2x HDMI's probably wouldn't work as they are different technologies and therefore use different signals/resolutions, but it was a nice idea...

I'll be honest: I completely forgot about the "multi-display adapter" Kensington sells. I wonder if anyone (you perhaps?) have experience with these adapters?

I like the fact that it's USB3 (it would have to be to avoid video lag). So all I would have to do is get that adapter, and convert the HDMI to DVI with a simple adapter and I'd be in business, right?

Although... I'd like to be reassured by the feedback of someone who has actually done this.

I've used the Kensington kit on a Core i5 based HP laptop via the USB3 port.

Worked fine on Windows 7, even with video playback. Of course, it's not
going to be a great experience for something like gaming, but in office
use situations (or code development) it's a fairly good solution.

--
Adrian C