HardwareBanter

-   -   optimal drivers for TNT2 64? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=51512)

HamMan October 25th 03 08:41 PM

optimal drivers for TNT2 64?

"Steve Evans" no@spam wrote in message
As per subject. I've tried 30.82 and performance seems pretty poor.
There could, however, be a problem with the card itself, as the
heatsink is hanging off :)

Since TnT2's are worthless now, its time to get dirty with the card.

Get some Artic Silver Epoxy and 'attach' an socket 7 heatsink and fan
(Pentium 1) to the main chip.

Then using the coolbits registry crack jam the core speed up as high as it
will stabley go, and then do a marginal overclock on the memory.

I would suggest drivers around 43-ish, that way theres not to many pointless
(to you) GF4 and FX fixes.

I will try and upload an example one of my friends did to a GF2 card to some
webspace. Link to follow soon.

Hamman

HamMan October 25th 03 08:52 PM

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dumbass2k3/PA250008.jpg

Darthy October 27th 03 08:49 AM

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:26:23 +0100, Steve Evans no@spam wrote:

As per subject. I've tried 30.82 and performance seems pretty poor.
There could, however, be a problem with the card itself, as the
heatsink is hanging off :)

There is nothing to OPTIMIZE...

If you want faster performance, a new card is in order. TNT2
technology is about 5 years old.

If you tried to play Unreal2 here are the results:

TNT2 : 15FPM (Frames Per Minute)
GF2MX : 5FPS (Frames Per Second)
GF3 : 25FPS
GF4TI: 60FPS
GF 5900: 150FPS

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Lenny October 28th 03 10:54 AM

remember socket 7 HSF's are virtualy weighless.

Depends on what you mean by 'weightless'. The Alpha PEP66 for example isn't
exactly weightless. Ok, it's no Swiftech over-half-kilo chunk of copper, but
still around 200g or so, especially with a fan.