HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT Windows Media Player 9 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=61128)

Pat Conover December 16th 03 12:14 AM

OT Windows Media Player 9

Anyone installed the MS Media Player 9 yet? If so any problems? I like to
watch some news clips on MSNBC, but can't play any unless I DL and install
media player 9. :-( Oh BTW it also says I need a MS .Net Passport to use
MSN Video! System is running okay and I don't want to shoot myself in the
old CPU! Thanks

Pat Conover

Christopher Muto December 16th 03 02:10 AM

works fine under xp and provides some minor features and visual improvements
over 8. be sure to visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get all critical
updates after downloading and installing (so that you can then get the
patches to fix security problems that media player 9 has). have no opinion
or experience with msn video or passport.

Ogden Johnson III December 16th 03 06:16 PM

"Pat Conover" wrote:

Anyone installed the MS Media Player 9 yet? If so any problems? I like to
watch some news clips on MSNBC, but can't play any unless I DL and install
media player 9. :-( Oh BTW it also says I need a MS .Net Passport to use
MSN Video! System is running okay and I don't want to shoot myself in the
old CPU! Thanks

I have had no problems with WMP 9 since installing it a few months
ago. DL & install was simple, particularly if you have a broadband
connection. You don't *need* Passport to download/install it, and I
wouldn't try to use anything that requires me to have a "MSN Passport"
to DL and view something. Certainly MSNBC clips have never required
me to have Passport, at least as of the last time I looked at one a
few weeks ago.

What are you talking about, "old CPU"-wise? I've put WMP 9 on my
DL733rs as well as my 4400 [all operating under XP].
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

Timothy Daniels December 16th 03 06:26 PM

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote:

I have had no problems with WMP 9 since installing it a few months
ago. DL & install was simple, particularly if you have a broadband
connection. You don't *need* Passport to download/install it, and I
wouldn't try to use anything that requires me to have a "MSN Passport"
to DL and view something. Certainly MSNBC clips have never required
me to have Passport, at least as of the last time I looked at one a
few weeks ago.

That's good to hear. I've aborted upgrades to WMP 9 twice
when I came upon the notice that I would need MSN Passport.

*TimDaniels*

Gene Tomlinson December 16th 03 08:00 PM

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:14:01 -0500, "Pat Conover"
wrote:

Anyone installed the MS Media Player 9 yet? If so any problems? I like to
watch some news clips on MSNBC, but can't play any unless I DL and install
media player 9. :-( Oh BTW it also says I need a MS .Net Passport to use
MSN Video! System is running okay and I don't want to shoot myself in the
old CPU! Thanks

Pat Conover

I use it with windows ME and it will not play MP43 files and Mircosoft
no longer has a codec for that mode.

Gene

Pat Conover December 17th 03 07:45 PM

OJ III, I'm not worried about not having enough CPU HP, I have a 2.4 Ghz P4,
with XP Home SP1 and 768 MB Ram. Sounds like I'll give it a go...after
doing a restore point. Thanks to all who responded, Pat

--

Pat Conover

Observer3 December 17th 03 09:56 PM

I frequently watch news videos at MSNBC. A few weeks ago, they
changed the format. In order to watch their clips, you need a net.passport
account (or whatever it's called), and you must download WMP 9. I was
somewhat leary of the .net account, but since I enjoy watching those videos,
I went ahead and registered/installed what they wanted me to.

WMP 9 works okay, although there are a few glitches watching the
videos at MSNBC. The MSN video is in beta format, hence the minor problems.

Ogden Johnson III December 17th 03 11:46 PM

"Pat Conover" wrote:

OJ III, I'm not worried about not having enough CPU HP, I have a 2.4 Ghz P4,
with XP Home SP1 and 768 MB Ram. Sounds like I'll give it a go...after
doing a restore point. Thanks to all who responded, Pat

Heh. The wording of your "shoot myself in the old CPU" comment led me
astray. I thought you were indicating you had an older machine with a
PIII, PII, P100, or, heavens forfend, an x86 CPU. ;-

Noting another's comments here on codecs, yes, even WMP 9 doesn't
necessarily come with all the codecs that might pop up in your travels
in cyberspace, I've both had to update it with a freebie codec pack
from divx and get one specific third-party "for pay" codec to read
some things I've come across.

[For those interested in codecs, the freebie pack was from
http://www.divx.com/divx/, their freebie 5.0.5b bundle {now up to
5.1.1}, and the third-party "for pay" one was an MPEG-4 codec, now
possibly included in the divx.com 5.1.1 bundle. I did a 30-day trial
download, but have never run across another since the trial expired.]

Ogden Johnson III December 17th 03 11:49 PM

"Observer3" wrote:

I frequently watch news videos at MSNBC. A few weeks ago, they
changed the format. In order to watch their clips, you need a net.passport
account (or whatever it's called), and you must download WMP 9. I was
somewhat leary of the .net account, but since I enjoy watching those videos,
I went ahead and registered/installed what they wanted me to.

Well, MSNBC just lost me as an occasional web-site viewer of their
news. Because I will never get an MS "net.passport" account.