HardwareBanter

-   -   EQ FPS and 6800GT (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=55612)

Seeq Endestroi November 3rd 04 02:50 AM

EQ FPS and 6800GT

Greetings,

I just picked up a BFGTech nVidia GT6800OC display adapter. Rest of the system is a
400MHz FSB P2.4, AGP 4x, 1GB PC3300 memory.

A quick run through UT2k4 with all the eye candy turned on, at 1600x1200 resolution,
resulted in frame rates well over 60FPS.

Doom 3 came with the card. Frame rates in Doom 3, ultra visual settings at 1280x1024, ran
around 35FPS. Absolutely playable, and very sweet-looking.

But then there's EQ. Right now, I'm sitting by the Cabilis stone, looking west across the
dark side of PoK, and I'm getting 18FPS. That's at 1024x768, 85Hz, 32-bit, all eye-candy
and shadows on. There are only 1 or 2 PCs in sight. Shadows off=5FPS increase.

Interestingly, I don't see any decline in FPS as I scale the resolution all the way up to
1800x1440.

What's going on? Why no sky-high frame rate in EQ? And why no sadness as I bump up the
resolution?

Thanks,

Tim ==