HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ghost and disk management are opposite (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=87910)

Irwin January 28th 05 03:05 AM

ghost and disk management are opposite

I want to backup the system partition on a box before I update them and
install new anti-virus, updates, etc. Disk management says that disk 0
is the d: drive (data), and disk 1 is the c: drive (system). One
partition per disk. Not the usual arrangement, but it is OK. But Norton
Ghost 2003 from floppy says that drive 1 is the system disk, and drive
2 is the data disk, just the opposite. How is that possible?
Thanks,
Irwin

Rod Speed January 28th 05 06:30 AM

Irwin wrote in message
ps.com...

I want to backup the system partition on a box before I update them
and install new anti-virus, updates, etc. Disk management says that
disk 0 is the d: drive (data), and disk 1 is the c: drive (system). One
partition per disk. Not the usual arrangement, but it is OK. But Norton
Ghost 2003 from floppy says that drive 1 is the system disk, and drive
2 is the data disk, just the opposite. How is that possible?

The NT/2K/XP family counts them differently to DOS.

Irwin January 28th 05 11:26 AM

Hello Rod. Differently if one starts with 0 and one starts with 1, that
I can understand. But the order is different, and that I do not
understand. Can you explain?

IMF

Rod Speed January 28th 05 08:29 PM

Irwin wrote in message
oups.com...

Differently if one starts with 0 and one starts with
1, that I can understand. But the order is different,
and that I do not understand. Can you explain?

Basically the NT/2K/XP family keep track of disks using IDs
that it writes to the disk and its scan for drives present as
the OS boots. DOS doesnt and numbers them from the
initial bios scan for drives in the very early boot phase.

That can see the number allocated vary.