HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ram: more vs. speed? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21767)

MustKillMoe-Wheee! October 31st 04 06:38 AM

Ram: more vs. speed?

My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's on
sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

John Doe October 31st 04 06:57 AM

"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote:

My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's on
sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

If he is using Windows XP, maybe not.

If he is using Windows 98 or Millennium, then he won't be able to use more
than 512MB anyway.

How much ram you can use depends on your hardware and software. The 512MB
is a lot for most Windows personal computers, in my opinion.

Good luck.

MustKillMoe-Wheee! October 31st 04 07:41 AM

"John Doe" wrote in message
"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote:

My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's on
sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

If he is using Windows XP, maybe not.

If he is using Windows 98 or Millennium, then he won't be able to use more
than 512MB anyway.

How much ram you can use depends on your hardware and software. The 512MB
is a lot for most Windows personal computers, in my opinion.

Good luck

Sorry for the lack of info. He's using XP Home Ed. I read somewhere that
if you use pc2100 and pc2700 ram at the same time, the 2700 ram will be
brought down to 2100 speeds.

That's why I was wondering if the extra 128 is worth it for only having 2100
speed.

John Doe October 31st 04 10:28 AM

"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote:

My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's
on sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

If he is using Windows XP, maybe not.
If he is using Windows 98 or Millennium, then he won't be able to use
more than 512MB anyway.
How much ram you can use depends on your hardware and software. The
512MB is a lot for most Windows personal computers, in my opinion.

Sorry for the lack of info. He's using XP Home Ed. I read somewhere
that if you use pc2100 and pc2700 ram at the same time, the 2700 ram
will be brought down to 2100 speeds. That's why I was wondering if the
extra 128 is worth it for only having 2100 speed.

Does that have something to do with whether or not you're going to buy
more memory? I would think that PC2700 on sale would be no more than
PC2100. Yes you should buy it.

Running Windows XP with 512MB or 640MB is a huge improvement over 128MB.

Warty October 31st 04 11:14 AM

"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote in message

"I read somewhere that if you use pc2100 and pc2700 ram at the same time,
the 2700 ram will be
brought down to 2100 speeds".

that is correct

Warty

Dave C. October 31st 04 11:51 AM

"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote in message
My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's on
sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

Yes. Even with Windows XP, you will rarely use more than 512MB of RAM. The
PC2100 will therefore slow the system down. -Dave

Shepİ November 1st 04 12:08 AM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:57:56 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then John Doe wrote :

"MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote:

My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's on
sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

If he is using Windows XP, maybe not.

If he is using Windows 98 or Millennium, then he won't be able to use more
than 512MB anyway.

********!!!!!
Another idiot post.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Shepİ November 1st 04 12:12 AM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:38:17 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then "MustKillMoe-Wheee!" wrote :

My friend has 128mb at pc2100. I want to buy him a 512 pc2700 that's on
sale. Should I take out the 2100 ram entirely?

Depends on his usage but if his board fully supports the speed of the
512 meg then just use that otherwise it will be dragged down to the PC
2100 speed and for the extra 128 meg it may not be worth the bother.
It's quite complicated actually because if the board
supports,"RAM Interleaving" then having the two sticks in could
actually be good however I would stick with my first supposition e.g
use the new single 512 stick.

John Doe November 1st 04 12:37 AM

Troll.

Shepİ November 1st 04 12:46 AM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:37:26 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then John Doe wrote :

Troll.

You know so little.