HardwareBanter

-   Gateway Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Assistance Please (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=194348)

Lee March 30th 14 10:18 AM

Assistance Please

I am running my Gateway on Vista and the other day I had a crash and was
able to recover from it but now my desktop screen is missing all the
icons that were on it. I have tried to drag icons to the desktop from
the tool bar where I found them. but so far no luck. Anyone have any
tips. No computer icon, no recycling icon and so on. But the desktop
is on the bottom tool bar. I have no idea of how to correct this
anything wold be appreciated. thanks in advance if anyone has a clue.
--
Lee US Army Retired
2004 Georgie Boy Cruise Master

BillW50 March 30th 14 03:05 PM

Assistance Please

In ,
Lee typed:
I am running my Gateway on Vista and the other day I had a crash and
was able to recover from it but now my desktop screen is missing all
the icons that were on it. I have tried to drag icons to the desktop
from the tool bar where I found them. but so far no luck. Anyone
have any tips. No computer icon, no recycling icon and so on. But
the desktop is on the bottom tool bar. I have no idea of how to
correct this anything wold be appreciated. thanks in advance if
anyone has a clue.

If you have no icons on the desktop, you might have the view turned off.
Right click on the desktop and the context menu pops up. And select view
and make sure Show Desktop Icons is checked.

--
Bill
Centrino Core2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz - 4GB - Windows XP SP2

Lee April 24th 14 12:42 PM

Assistance Please

Hi BillW50, when I right click on the desktop nothing happens at all. I do
have the tool bar but much prefer having the icons. For some reason I
always get something no one else gets! (grin)

BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Lee typed:

BillW50 April 26th 14 10:03 PM

Assistance Please

On 4/24/2014 6:42 AM, Lee wrote:
Hi BillW50, when I right click on the desktop nothing happens at all. I do
have the tool bar but much prefer having the icons. For some reason I
always get something no one else gets! (grin)

Wow that is weird. Do you have a background (aka wallpaper)?

BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Lee typed:
I am running my Gateway on Vista and the other day I had a crash and
was able to recover from it but now my desktop screen is missing all
the icons that were on it. I have tried to drag icons to the desktop
from the tool bar where I found them. but so far no luck. Anyone
have any tips. No computer icon, no recycling icon and so on. But
the desktop is on the bottom tool bar. I have no idea of how to
correct this anything wold be appreciated. thanks in advance if
anyone has a clue.

If you have no icons on the desktop, you might have the view turned off.
Right click on the desktop and the context menu pops up. And select view
and make sure Show Desktop Icons is checked.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v24.4.0
Centrino Core2 Duo T7400 2.16 GHz - 4GB - Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center

Lee April 27th 14 12:27 AM

Assistance Please

I have looked and looked but nothing seems to work. It is weird Can't
right click on
Desktop nothing happens, no icons at all. they all ended up in the
toolbar. No I did not move them either. Can't even drag and drop to
Desktop. Yes I did insert a background (wallpaper) a picture of my
wife. No problem with that though.

BillW50 wrote:
On 4/24/2014 6:42 AM, Lee wrote:
Hi BillW50, when I right click on the desktop nothing happens at all.
I do
have the tool bar but much prefer having the icons. For some reason I
always get something no one else gets! (grin)

Wow that is weird. Do you have a background (aka wallpaper)?

BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Lee typed:

BillW50 April 29th 14 03:24 PM

Assistance Please

On 4/26/2014 6:27 PM, Lee wrote:
I have looked and looked but nothing seems to work. It is weird Can't
right click on Desktop nothing happens, no icons at all. they all
ended up in the toolbar. No I did not move them either. Can't even
drag and drop to Desktop. Yes I did insert a background (wallpaper)
a picture of my wife. No problem with that though.

Well how about creating another user logon and see if that one works. If
that works, it means that user account is corrupt.

BillW50 wrote:
On 4/24/2014 6:42 AM, Lee wrote:
Hi BillW50, when I right click on the desktop nothing happens at
all. I do have the tool bar but much prefer having the icons.
For some reason I always get something no one else gets! (grin)

Wow that is weird. Do you have a background (aka wallpaper)?

BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Lee typed: