HardwareBanter

-   Abit Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   NF7-S v2.0 Memory Question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=23487)

Mike November 7th 04 04:54 PM

NF7-S v2.0 Memory Question

Can anyone tell me whether this memory works with this board? Newegg has it
for 157.00. If not, any recommendations. Thanks.

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Model# VS1GBKIT400
Item # N82E16820145440
Specification
Manufacturer: Corsair
Model: VS1GBKIT400
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Warranty: Lifetime

The Other Guy. November 9th 04 02:33 AM

Why do you want that ram with that board ?, the board is made t
overclock ?

You wont be with that ram, but the ram shoudl work just fine with the
board.

Mike November 9th 04 03:32 AM

If I'm using a mobile XP 2500, shouldn't I be able to overclock to at least
the speed of
the DDR-3200 ram? I'm kind of new at this. Thanks

Al Kaufmann November 9th 04 02:33 PM

Yes, you'll only be overclocking the cpu and not the memory. The
mobile XP 2500 is unlocked and supposed to very good for overclocking.
I have two of the older unlocked Barton 2500+ and both are running
fine as much more expensive Barton 3200+.

You may need a bit more voltage for the cpu and the only thing to
watch out for is possible overheating. Some cpu fans are better than
others. Loud noisy fans does not necessarily mean better.

Ak

"Mike" wrote:

If I'm using a mobile XP 2500, shouldn't I be able to overclock to at least
the speed of
the DDR-3200 ram? I'm kind of new at this. Thanks
.. .

Tim November 12th 04 07:41 PM

"Al Kaufmann" wrote in message
Yes, you'll only be overclocking the cpu and not the memory. The
mobile XP 2500 is unlocked and supposed to very good for overclocking.
I have two of the older unlocked Barton 2500+ and both are running
fine as much more expensive Barton 3200+.

You may need a bit more voltage for the cpu and the only thing to
watch out for is possible overheating. Some cpu fans are better than
others. Loud noisy fans does not necessarily mean better.

Also, if you really want to test stability try running Prime95 for 24 hours.
Be sure to monitor your temperatures though, it really taxes the system. I
was initially running a mobile Barton 2600+, with a 200MHz FSB setting,
using Corsair XMS3200 DDR (so the memory wasn't overclocked). Initially,
it gave the appearance of stability, but eventually there were system
lockups. I tested the system using with Prime95 (on the "blend" setting)
and sure enough, it failed after a few hours, regardless of the core voltage
setting. I lowered the FSB to 166MHz (while maintaining the same CPU speed)
and Prime95 ran fine even after 24 hours. I haven't had a lockup since.

Just because a system boots and runs some games for a few hours doesn't make
it completely stable, you have to run a torture test such a Prime95. Keep
in mind that the mobile Bartons have FSB ratings of 133MHz so the mobo's
timing table is going to be optimized for that speed regardless of the speed
you set it for.. Some mobiles are better than others for overclocking, you
just have to try it and see.

S.Heenan November 12th 04 08:45 PM

Mike wrote:
Can anyone tell me whether this memory works with this board? Newegg
has it for 157.00. If not, any recommendations. Thanks.

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Funny you should ask...
I'm using the same RAM on both the Abit board and two Asus boards with no
problems. Do not push the RAM past 200MHz nor try "tight" timings and all
will be well.