HardwareBanter

-   -   should i upgrade or not (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54902)

ritch August 17th 04 01:25 AM

should i upgrade or not

hi

i currently own a creative gforce fx5900 ultra, do you think it is worth me
upgrading to a GeForce 6800 ultra GT, is there a major difference in these
cards that would justify the upgrade. I am looking for better performance
with games like doom 3 and far cry.

my system is asus p4pe, 2.53 pentiun 4, 1.50 gigs of ram

thanks for any help

ritch

ritch August 17th 04 11:20 AM

this is what i was wondering, the problem with graphics cards is you can
lose a lot of money shelling out if another you want is just round the
corner. i will probably put up with doom 3 with what i got for now, its
more than playable but the choppyness i get at times takes away from it a
bit

ritch

lordy August 17th 04 11:35 AM

"ritch" wrote in news:cfsm51$91h$1
@titan.btinternet.com:

this is what i was wondering, the problem with graphics cards is you can
lose a lot of money shelling out if another you want is just round the
corner. i will probably put up with doom 3 with what i got for now, its
more than playable but the choppyness i get at times takes away from it a
bit

ritch

Why are you getting choppiness on a 5900 Ultra ??? I would have expected
this at all?

Disclaimer! I'm new to all this graphics card stuff and I havent played
Doom 3 but I though the mid to top NVidia cards could competantly handle
Doom 3 being a GL based game ???

--
Lordy

GTX_SlotCar August 17th 04 02:31 PM

more than playable but the choppyness i get at times takes away from it a
bit

[On the no, don't bother with a new card side]
You could turn the quality setting to medium and turn off shadows. Since my
9800Pro is RMA'd to ATI, I was borrowing my kids' Ti4400 to play Doom3 (just
got my 6800GT yesterday). After some final tweaks, I could run Doom3 (with
shadows off & medium quality) at 60 fps at 800x 600 or 66 fps at 640x480
2xAA (which looked better). It ran smooth all the time and looked good.
Occasional choppiness in multi-player will kill you. When I went from the
61.77 drivers to the 62.20's, it cleared up most of the banding I was
getting on human skin textures and gave me a couple more fps. When I went to
the 65.62's, all the banding was gone and I got yet another couple fps.
I like to keep my Average fps up around 70 (because of multi-player), so I
even run my 6800GT at medium quality.

[On the yes, get a new card now side]
Far Cry is a different story. The 6800GT would probably make the game a lot
more enjoyable.
As for the new stuff coming out, that's endless. It's always happening.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

rms August 17th 04 02:40 PM

Yes....simple answer.

I agree. Overclock the cpu to 3-3.2ghz and the 6800gt, and sell the
5900. For $240 you'll have 1600x1200 gaming at smooth framerates in Doom3 &
farcry, just like I'm having. Just remember to turn off AA & AF until
nvidia learns how to do these :)

rms

PRIVATE1964 August 17th 04 10:06 PM

Just remember to turn off AA & AF until
nvidia learns how to do these :)

rms

What exactly does that comment mean? Does the AA and AF slow the card down too
much?

GTX_SlotCar August 22nd 04 10:06 PM

What exactly does that comment mean? Does the AA and AF slow the card down
too
much?

nVidia is fine with AA and AF. AA slows my 6800gt more than it did my Radeon
9800Pro, but it's still good. Outside of that, it depends on the game.
In Doom3, run AA from the game. It's a little faster. But run AF from
control panel. Running it from the game will kill the frame rates, but let
nVidia handle it and it hardly makes a hit.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com