HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   keep XP updated until 2019 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=194554)

XP Guy[_2_] June 1st 14 03:24 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

Ammammata wrote:

(what-ever)

I posted the full details of this hack back on May 22 in a thread with
the subject:

"A few registry key entries will allow XP to update itself via
Windows Update until the year 2019"

For those that are too afraid or simply don't know about how this works
- there is something that is really just an alternate version of XP-SP3
that Micro$haft calls "POSReady 2009".

POSReady 2009.

Nobody in a thousand years searching for XP related updates or hotfixes
would ever think to search for "POSReady 2009". Very good move for
Macro$haft to call it POSReady 2009 instead of "XP for POS 2009" or some
such.

POS means "Point of Service". It's what cash registers and bank teller
computers are running. I think ATM's and gas pump machines too (as if
they couldn't be running DOS).

POS2009 came out in 2009 (I think that's when SP3 came out for XP). It
will have full security updates for 10 years (hence EOL in 2019).

POSReady 2009 is exactly the same as XP-SP3, but with a few trivial
differences - such as no help files, DotNet installed by default, no
Movie Maker, etc. You get the idea.

Micro$haft will tell you that POS2009 and XP-SP3 are two different
products. Of course they are! You take an XP CD, slap a new label on
it, give it a new SKU or product number, -CREATE A SPECIAL LICENSE
AGREEMENT FOR IT- and voila - you have a different product.

Yes - the only real difference is the license agreement. And who here
really pays attention to that stuff anyways?

So the security updates and fixes that Milkro$oft will be making for
POS2009 for the next 5 years are fully compatible with every XP-SP3
system out there.

Meekro$oft will tell you that POS2009 updates ARE NOT INTENDED FOR XP -
of course they're not! Not if Macro$haft had it's way and was in
control of your computer!

But of course you all realize that saying "not intended" is not the same
thing as saying "they won't work".

===============

A simple registry tweak is enough for WU to show the latest POSReady
updates on Windows XP. This method has been tested and works on any XP
build.

Add the following registry keys (INF Format):

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbe dded\ProductVersion","FeaturePackVersion",0x000000 00,"SP3"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS","Installed",0x10001,0

HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\WES","Installed",0x10001,0

HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady","Installed",0x10001,1

Or use notepad to copy the following and save as .reg file and run it:

==========
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]
"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]
"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001
===========

Restart your computer, and make sure WindozeUpdate service is running.
You will see there are updates for you to install! And your XP PC will
continue to recieve MS patches until the year 2019.

This is for 32-bit XP. There is a different method for 64-bit version
of XP (by spoofing Windows 2003 server).

To be on the safe side, you should probably be running XP-SP3 (but who
wouldn't be?) and you might want to select "manual" updating and have a
look at the updates and DO NOT EVER download anything called "WGA" or
"Windows Genuine disAdvantage" if anything like that ever comes down the
pipe.

XP Guy[_2_] June 1st 14 04:48 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

wrote:

I'm saving this message for reference. This sounds useful. But I
question whether one can activate this as a private individual.

You did not post a URL to download it.

Download what?

There is nothing to download.

Just do the following:

J. P. Gilliver (John) June 1st 14 04:54 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

In message ,
writes:
On Sat, 31 May 2014 22:24:11 -0400, XP Guy "XP"@Guy. com wrote:

[]
[...]

There isn't anything to download: if you read what he said, there are
only four registry keys to be created/altered, but if you don't want to
do that, he made it as a .reg file: you copy the bits _of his post_
between the === lines into NotePad, then save the result as a .reg file,
then run it. (On your head be it though!) [Use his original post - or,
if you take the text from this one, remove all the ""s.]
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can." - Fortunes file

[email protected] June 1st 14 05:36 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

Ammammata wrote:

[...]

BTW: Movie Maker can be downloaded separately from MS.

If I install this, I sure hope my computer becomes an ATM and spits out
lots of money! :)

I'm sure glad you specified "Point of Service" or I would have thought
it meant "Piece of ****"...... I know someone who refers to his car as a
POS. :)

XP Guy[_2_] June 1st 14 06:22 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

wrote:

I hope that also updates Security Essentials. I'm sick of that
thing nagging me that XP is expired.

Apparently, Microsoft dropped support for POS Ready 2009 with version 2
of Security Essentials. MSE is only supported on XP 32-bit, and
vista/w7 32 and 64-bit. It is not supported on any other platforms.

[email protected] June 1st 14 06:29 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 04:54:17 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

There isn't anything to download: if you read what he said, there are
only four registry keys to be created/altered, but if you don't want to
do that, he made it as a .reg file: you copy the bits _of his post_
between the === lines into NotePad, then save the result as a .reg file,
then run it. (On your head be it though!) [Use his original post - or,
if you take the text from this one, remove all the ""s.]
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Ok, I now understand. It's using the already installed copy of XP. Just
modified to get the updates. I hope that also updates Security
Essentials. I'm sick of that thing nagging me that XP is expired.

[email protected] June 1st 14 10:27 AM

keep XP updated until 2019

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 01:22:16 -0400, XP Guy "XP"@Guy. com wrote:

wrote:

I hope that also updates Security Essentials. I'm sick of that
thing nagging me that XP is expired.

Apparently, Microsoft dropped support for POS Ready 2009 with version 2
of Security Essentials. MSE is only supported on XP 32-bit, and
vista/w7 32 and 64-bit. It is not supported on any other platforms.

That's too bad. Security Essentials (SE) seemed to be one of the best
AV programs available, at least of the free ones. I suppose I may as
well just uninstall it then. I guess I'll have to buy Kaspersky then.
I'm not impressed with any of the free ones. In fact AVG claims to run
on Windows 2000 SP4. That's what I have on one computer, yet it wont
install. I guess when it comes to something as important as AV
software, one cant be cheap. However I wont touch anything made by
Symantec. I always figured that MS would make the best AV, since they
know the OS best.

Ken Springer June 1st 14 01:02 PM

keep XP updated until 2019

wrote:

[...]

Have you tried Avast at all? Been using it for years, since I gave up
on Norton. Not a problem anywhere.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

Mayayana June 1st 14 03:22 PM

keep XP updated until 2019

| I'm saving this message for reference. This sounds useful.

Just remember two things:

1) XP is no longer supported. Microsoft has no reason to make
sure patches for XPE work on XP, and they have made no such
commitment. They do have a motive to break XP. Unsupported
means that if it breaks it's your fault.

2) It's unlikely there will be many, if any, relevant patches
anyway. Something like support for new hardware would be
useful, but security patches? No one should be using IE8
anyway, so patches there are irrelevant. What else is there?
This months patches are a good example. Someone who
has been posting this hack in another group posted them.
One is for IE and 2 are for "privilege elevation" bugs. In other
words, they are bugs that allow someone logged on as a
restricted user to get full admin rights. I don't know anyone
who doesn't have all users set up as Admins on XP. Unless
you normally run in the restricted "lackey mode" of a common
user, and you have XP installed with an NTFS file system, then
privilege elevation is irrelevant.

So you could be risking your system for doubtful benefit.
On top of all that, if you use the hack you need to pick
and choose between updates. Some may not be relevant to
XP. Some, like WGA, might invalidate your hacked install.

Stan Weiss June 1st 14 04:53 PM

keep XP updated until 2019

I am writing this on a computer with W2K and AVG. and it still updates
the definitions. But it is not the later versions. You need to find
version 9, download and install it.

Stan