HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XP Pro: 90% of applications go into 'not responding' state (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8831)

Jason August 11th 04 09:50 AM

XP Pro: 90% of applications go into 'not responding' state

Hi all,

I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
to start troubleshooting.

Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.

My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
1 (mirrored pair).

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Mark BR August 11th 04 10:19 AM

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I am baffled by this. Every so often, around 2-3 times a day about
90% of the running applications go into a 'not responding' state but
the PC is not hung. I can still start Task Manager and launch new
applications (although they soon hang after launch). If you wait 5-10
minutes then everything jumps back into life - I just don't know where
to start troubleshooting.

Is there a application that can check what these processes are being
blocked on or give me some further help on this issue.

My system is an AMD 64 (K8NS Pro Motherboard) with 1GB of RAM and RAID
1 (mirrored pair).

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Problems reading a hard disc or CD? I get a similar problem if I have a bad
CD in the drive.

Mark BR

rstlne August 11th 04 12:38 PM

"Mark BR" wrote in message

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

I have the same problem with Adobe Reader (verry common for me)..
I am using an AXP and dont have the amd64 but to be honest, I think that the
problem "with the program" could easly happen on any system (or maybee just
AXP based ones)..
List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
have registry hacks that will help them run better.

Jason August 11th 04 03:51 PM

Applications that go into this state from memory...

Internet Explorer
Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)

but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
goes into this state.

If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
traffic.

I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
this state then the it will hang (after it starts).

Ugly Mugly August 11th 04 04:07 PM

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
Applications that go into this state from memory...

Internet Explorer
Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security
Netscape (installed it to eliminate IE as the issue)
Remote Desktop (sometimes this continues to work)

but the BBC ticker still works - this is a news ticker bar at running
at the bottom of the screen. This never seems to hang when the PC
goes into this state.

If you go into Task Manager, then all the resources are at zero or
hardly utilised, cpu is 95+% free, loads of memory left, no lan
traffic.

I am sure that if I try and start any application when the PC is in
this state then the it will hang (after it starts).

Jason, have you tried a blaster removal tool?
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

JasonB August 11th 04 04:15 PM

Jason wrote:
Applications that go into this state from memory...

Snip

"Mark BR" wrote in message ...

"Jason" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Have you tried running a spyware detector application like WebSweeper or
something like Ad-Aware? You *might* be infected with a trojan or
spyware application that kicks in every so often taking CPU time away
from other legitimate applications.

Free Spyware checker - must be online for this to run
http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

Link to Lavasoft's Ad-Aware personal edition - free for personal use

Hope this helps!
--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

Jason August 11th 04 09:29 PM

Well after some experimenting I think it is Yahoo Messenger that is
causing the issue. Anyone seen similar?

"rstlne" wrote in message ...
"Mark BR" wrote in message

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
have registry hacks that will help them run better.

Jason August 11th 04 10:57 PM

No it isn't Yahoo Messenger, that must have been a coincedence. It
just happened on Messenger wasn't running. Still wondering what is
causing this!

"rstlne" wrote in message ...
"Mark BR" wrote in message

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

List the programs that seem to lock up and MAYBEE someone out there might
have registry hacks that will help them run better.

Adam August 11th 04 10:59 PM

"Mark BR" wrote in message ...
"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Probably anti-virus hogging all resources. This has happened to me a
lot. Check your processes when this happens and see if your
anti-virus is taking over much of the memory.