HardwareBanter

-   -   Can't Run 3DMark03 w/GeForce 4 Ti4600 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=49578)

JJay July 5th 03 08:19 PM

Can't Run 3DMark03 w/GeForce 4 Ti4600

Have a P4/3GHz, 875P, 800FSB, 1Gig/RAM, GF4 Ti-4600,
WinXP-Pro SP1. Using Nvidia drivers 41.09, score on
3DMark2001SE was 14,000. Updated drivers to 43.45 and score
went to 14,350. Frame rates rarely dropped below 100 in
high-detail, 200-300 elsewhere. Smooth, no problems. No
system problems with 43.45. I did the driver update, from
41.09 to 43.45 to have DX9 "compatibility" for running 3DMark03.

When I tried to run 3DMark03, it did OK with the first test
(the planes), but after that, frame rate dropped to less
than 10. Couldn't even finish running the benchmark, PC
locked up on 3rd test, and BSOD indicating some problem with
DirectDraw/drivers. DXDiag tests all run fine.

Will try 44.03 drivers, to see if that makes any difference.
But why would performance drop so much? Shouldn't you be
able to at least run 3DMark03, as long as you have DX9 and
DX9-compatible drivers, with a GF-4 Ti-4600, which is 100%
DX8 compatible?

According to 3DMark's web site, a DX8 compliant graphics
card should be able to run 3DMark03, but certain
DX9-specific tests would not be run. Appreciate any
help/advice.

JJJ

B July 5th 03 11:34 PM

If you have any type of Ti card some of the tests like the nature test will
NEVER run because the cards are not Direct X 9.0 hardware capable. I
recently bought at an excellent price the FX 5800 (non-ultra) and this card
runs all the tests flawlessly whereas my old Ti 4200 would not run any of
the Direct X 9.0 tests. However, the first thing I would do if I were you is
to ensure your chipset drivers are current and all backgrounds tasks are not
running when using the benchmark. Also ensure you're running the 330 patch.
I would also recommend you back on down to the WHQL approved driver version
40.72.

regards

JJay July 6th 03 09:55 PM

Thx for the reply. Misery loves company. :) At least I can
run Elite Force 2 with this GF4 Ti-4600, and the latest
Nvidia DX9-supported drivers. I guess the games aren't as
demanding as 3DMark03, or at least the games have the
ability to just not run any special effects that require DX9
hardware. Am not that far into the game, so there could be
a point where I hit a DX9 snag. If so, I'll think about
popping for a new card.

BTW, ran a 2nd 3DMark2001SE with 44.03 drivers, and score
went back up by 1,000 to 14,274. Just about the same as
43.45. Have run a number of older/newer 3D games on 44.03,
and they all run fine, with better sharpness and more color
saturation. So, until something crashes, will stick with
44.03 for now.

On a new card, not sure between ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, or
GeForce FX 5900. Benchmarks I've seen are fairly close, but
FX5900 is going for $499, and Radeon for $399. Haven't had
much luck with ATI in the past. Incompatibility problems
with 2D applications. Also, not sure about their sharpness
and color brilliance compared to Nvidia. Oh well. Thx.

jj
Tom Joyce wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:49:03 GMT, JJay wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that you can't run 3DMark03
unless you have a graphics card that supports DX9 in
HARDWARE, such as the FX cards, or newer Radion cards.

My old GF3 and current Ti4600 both scored (badly) in 3DMark03. As
expected, the 'nature' test didn't run.

Regards,
Tom