HardwareBanter

-   -   IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=49552)

Egil Solberg July 4th 03 03:05 PM

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

I'm wondering if this might be a graphics card issue?

CPU = AMD Athlon XP1800+ with 512MB PC2100 DDR memory, m/b = ASUS
A7A266-E,System Chipset = M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller,
graphics = 64MB NVidia Geforce2 MX, sound = Sound Blaster 5.1 Audio
with Dolby surround and Creative Four Point Surround (FPS1600), modem
= Conexant CXT1035 - HCF 56k v90 (internal), printer = Lexmark Z23,
scanner = Umax AstraSlim 3400 USB.

Try with a decent PSU if you have a crappy one installed now.

Terry Pinnell July 4th 03 07:23 PM

"Egil Solberg" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .

I'm wondering if this might be a graphics card issue?

CPU = AMD Athlon XP1800+ with 512MB PC2100 DDR memory, m/b = ASUS
A7A266-E,System Chipset = M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller,
graphics = 64MB NVidia Geforce2 MX, sound = Sound Blaster 5.1 Audio
with Dolby surround and Creative Four Point Surround (FPS1600), modem
= Conexant CXT1035 - HCF 56k v90 (internal), printer = Lexmark Z23,
scanner = Umax AstraSlim 3400 USB.

Try with a decent PSU if you have a crappy one installed now.

Thanks, but could you define 'decent' and 'crappy' please. I've no
reason to assume MESH would have installed an inadequate PSU, but I'm
willing to try anything reasonable.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Egil Solberg July 4th 03 08:35 PM

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

Thanks, but could you define 'decent' and 'crappy' please.

Decent: heavy, good voltage specs, thick power wires to ATX-connector and
harddrive connectors and made by a reputable manufacturer (PcPowerand
cooling, Fortron, Antec, Enermax etc etc)
Crappy: light-weight, cheap, fluctuating voltages, underdimensioned power
wires,overrated voltage specs, made by less reputable manufacturer (Codegen,
Q-tec etc(Q-technologies is different from Q-tec, the first is a good
manufacturer, the last isnīt))

I've no
reason to assume MESH would have installed an inadequate PSU, but I'm
willing to try anything reasonable.

Also make sure you install the Ali AGP driver, if you havenīt. Ali can be a
bit tricky. I donīt know "MESH", but most manufacturers I know try to skimp
their way through with poor supplies.

Terry Pinnell July 5th 03 08:13 AM

"Egil Solberg" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'll get the case off and have a look. But wouldn't there be
other (possibly more obvious) symptoms if PSU was culprit?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Egil Solberg July 5th 03 06:07 PM

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

Thanks. I'll get the case off and have a look. But wouldn't there be
other (possibly more obvious) symptoms if PSU was culprit?

Iīm not saying that it has to be the PSU, just that it could be.
PSU insufficiency can show in several ways, this is one of them.

Ron Merts July 7th 03 08:02 AM

Are you getting this when trying to install Windows XP? If so, are you
using Serial ATA or SCSI? If so, you need to load the controller driver
during install. When you see the "Press F6 to load a 3rd party SCSI driver"
press the F6 key several times and the message will go away. You will be
prompted when to insert the floppy containing the driver. Otherwise this
error points to a specific hardware failure. If you've added or updated
hardware, try removing it and see if the error goes away. If you recently
went from say a TNT2 to a GeForce4 or GeForce FX card then you probably need
a bigger power supply; otherwise it's trying to tell you a specific piece of
hardware is failing at load time either because of a missing driver or bad
hardware.

Ron