HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8KNXP Memory Capacities? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36901)

Jackson August 21st 03 04:23 PM

8KNXP Memory Capacities?

I'm building a computer that will be used for heavy duty 3d work and for
working with massive photoshop files. Want I want to configure is a 1
gig ram disk and 2 gigs ram for the os and applications. I bought the
8KNXP board and three gigs of this memory:

http://kingston.com/hyperx/

1GB Kit (2 modules at 512m each) HyperX DDR 400MHz 2-3-2-6-1
Standard 64M X 64 Non-ECC 400MHz 184-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR,
2.6V, CL2, 400mil, TSOP, Gold)

Now that the mb has arrived I see the "gotcha". The 875p can only
address 8 pages of memory. Since these sticks are double sided I can
only use 2 gigs of it on the board :-(

The question is this: Since the board is advertised as accepting up to
4 gigs of ram, does any even make a single sided 512mb or 1 gig double
sided stick? I really wish Gigabyte had thrown me an asterisk under the
memory spec for this mb!

Jackson August 22nd 03 04:46 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the info. I called Kingston and they swore that the KVR400
512mb modules are in fact double sided. They also said they don't have a
single sided module above 128k.

Are you sure that yours are single sided?

From the website:
KVR400X64C3AK2/1G
1GB Kit 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM 3-3-3
Specification Standard 64M X 64 Non-ECC 400MHz 184-pin Unbuffered
DIMM (SDRAM-DDR, 2.6V, CL3, 400mil, TSOP, Double-Sided, Gold)

On 8/21/03 11:16 PM, Bob Davis wrote :
I am running two Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G kits (512mb x 4, two matched
sets), which are single-sided modules. Thus, I could populate my mobo with
512's and have 3gb, yet have two pages to spare. Alas, these CAS3
"ValueRam" modules may not satisfy you in the speed department, but they are
available.

nk.net...

Bob Davis August 22nd 03 05:51 PM

"Jackson" wrote in message
k.net...

Thanks for the info. I called Kingston and they swore that the KVR400
512mb modules are in fact double sided. They also said they don't have a
single sided module above 128k.

Are you sure that yours are single sided?

Whoa! No, I'm not sure, but always assumed they were singles. They have
chips on both sides, but that doesn't necessarily make them "double-sided,"
according to some tests I've read (e.g.,
http://www17.tomshardware.com/mother.../i875p-04.html). On the
Anandtech test they show modules with chips on both sides that are
single-sided. I honestly don't know how to tell the difference, visually or
otherwise. I don't know of any software that'll identify this quality, and
I haven't seen it mentioned in specs for memory on the manufacturer's sites.

Well, I'm not going higher than 2gb anyway, so it doesn't affect me. In
your case, if you want to eventually go higher than 2gb, you'd obviously
have to plan ahead.