HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   new Threadripper 3900 memory access modes? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199793)

[email protected] December 3rd 19 08:58 AM

new Threadripper 3900 memory access modes?

I read a review at wccftech, which has this intriguing sentence:

With memory access modes, users can select between UMA (maximum memory bandwidth) and NUMA (lowest latency) modes.

So what is going on? I guess there are 2 memory controllers which are
married to a CPU die, but can be linked to act like a shared memory beast.

Paul[_28_] December 3rd 19 07:01 PM

wrote:
I read a review at wccftech, which has this intriguing sentence:

With memory access modes, users can select between UMA (maximum memory bandwidth) and NUMA (lowest latency) modes.

So what is going on? I guess there are 2 memory controllers which are
married to a CPU die, but can be linked to act like a shared memory beast.

See "Memory Modes", about 70% down the page.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen

*******

That page is for Zen. The page for Zen2 is barely started.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/mic...tectures/zen_2

Paul