HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Should I Secure Erase my SSD before sending it back for warranty? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199792)

Yousuf Khan[_2_] December 2nd 19 04:13 PM

Should I Secure Erase my SSD before sending it back for warranty?

The reason I ask is that the utility that came with the SSD says that
there is a possibility that if you use the secure erase feature that it
will lockup the whole drive. So should I secure erase or just delete the
partition and that should be sufficient? I don't want the manufacturer
blaming me for secure erasing it, when the problem is elsewhere.

Grant Taylor December 2nd 19 11:15 PM

On 12/2/19 8:13 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
The reason I ask is that the utility that came with the SSD says that
there is a possibility that if you use the secure erase feature that it
will lockup the whole drive. So should I secure erase or just delete the
partition and that should be sufficient? I don't want the manufacturer
blaming me for secure erasing it, when the problem is elsewhere.

Deleting the partition can easily be undone.

Which is more important to you; the privacy of the data on the drive, or
the price of replacing the drive?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die