HardwareBanter

-   -   AMD-ATI R600 set to unleash bandwidth HELL-destruction against Nvidia's 8800 ~ Dave Orton hints at 512-bit bus (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=141404)

AirRaid Mach 2.5 December 15th 06 10:45 AM

AMD-ATI R600 set to unleash bandwidth HELL-destruction against Nvidia's 8800 ~ Dave Orton hints at 512-bit bus

http://beyond3d.com/#news36695]http:...com/#news36695

Dave Orton promises R600 to take no prisoners and feature "new levels"
of bandwidth

15-Dec-2006, 01:50.16 Reporter : geo

Speaking at yesterday's AMD Financial Analysts Day, Executive Vice
President of Visual and Media Businesses, Dave Orton, appeared to throw
down the performance gauntlet in favor of AMD's upcoming R600 GPU.
Having had over a month to study NVIDIA's G80, Orton did not seem the
least bit intimidated. In a slide entitled "R600: Why we lead in
graphics", Orton promised that even if the name of the company had
changed, that the commitment to GPU performance leadership had not. He
promised a "take no prisoners" approach to performance leadership for
AMD's new GPU.

More interestingly, in his verbal remarks Orton reported (at roughly
the 1:22:30 mark of the webcast) that one of R600's key advantages
would be "new levels of memory bandwidth to the graphics subsystem, and
bandwidth is critical to graphics performance." As all graphics geeks
know, AMD pioneered the move to GDDR4 memory with the Radeon X1950 XTX,
which gave them a temporary advantage in bandwidth. However, in the
period since NVIDIA has released the 384-bit GeForce 8800 GTX, whose
memory bandwidth crushes the X1950 XTX by 86.4GB/s to 64.0GB/s. It is
impossible that AMD could regain a significant enough advantage in
bandwidth to be cited by Orton as a major competitive advantage without
following NVIDIA north of the 256-bit bus that has been a mainstay of
the ATI/AMD high-end products since 2002's Radeon 9700 Pro.

As such, Beyond3D now believes that the persistent rumours that R600
will feature a 512-bit bus to graphics memory are most likely true, and
at any rate believes that R600 must feature an external bus greater
than 256-bit in order to back up the smack AMD's Executive Vice
President laid down.

In other tidbits, Orton also vowed to be first to the 65nm technology
process, but did not disclose which product he had in mind for the
honor, nor even product type, GPU or chipset. Our graphics-oriented
notes (and a few selected slides) on the rest of the conference are
included inside, if you dare to take the red pill.

Tony DiMarzio December 15th 06 05:20 PM

AMD-ATI R600 set to unleash bandwidth HELL-destruction against Nvidia's 8800 ~ Dave Orton hints at 512-bit bus

"AirRaid Mach 2.5" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Excellent news. So, a true 512-bit internal/external memory bus has all but
been officially confirmed.

February is going to be a very interesting time. I wonder what NVidia will
have at R600 launch to respond to ATi's new monster? Certainly an 8800 GTX
refresh won't be enough. We'll see.

Tony

AirRaid Mach 2.5 December 15th 06 08:48 PM

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
[...]

Actually the R520 / X1800 and R580 / X1900 have 256-bit external bus
and a
512-bit internal ring bus. So it is thought that the R600 will have a
1024-bit internal ring bus to match the 512-bit external bus :)

Nvidia will not have a true refresh of G80 / GF 8800 anywhere near the
launch of R600.

there's big difference between a speed-bumped version of a card with
faster core/ memory clockspeeds, than an actual refresh.

the G70 / 7800 GTX and everything beyond that (before the G80) was a
refresh of the
NV40 / 6800.

anyway, I think ATI/AMD has got it in the back for Windows Vista launch
and the first generation of DX10 cards.

John Lewis December 16th 06 06:37 AM

AMD-ATI R600 set to unleash bandwidth HELL-destruction against Nvidia's 8800 ~ Dave Orton hints at 512-bit bus

On 15 Dec 2006 01:45:55 -0800, "AirRaid Mach 2.5"
wrote:

http://beyond3d.com/#news36695]http:...com/#news36695

Dave Orton promises R600 to take no prisoners and feature "new levels"
of bandwidth

How much more techno-dweeb BS are you going to continue to propagate
on these newsgroups? We know that you are an ATi marketing mouthpiece.
Why not just shut up until cards with the R600 are released, the
technically-expert reviews are made comparing the 8800 variants with
the R600 variants and then let us judge for ourselves? I recommend
Anandtech for reviews with in-depth technical detail and accuracy and
no vendor biases. For me, I have zero intention of purchasing any
DX10-capable cards until Vista is stable, the drivers are stable and
the combination is as efficient and bug-free as Win XP in running both
current and legacy games. Which puts my purchasing decision around
Fall 2007; by which time the R600 will be readily available
(hopefully...knowing ATi delivery realities vs promises) and the
8800-series with be in their second-generation on a smaller process,
most likely 65nm. I suggest that those itching to have the latest and
greatest video hardware take something for the itch and hold off as
long as me and certainly for a month or two after Vista is retail
released; better for both the (frustration) ulcers and the wallet.

John Lewis