HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   H97-D3H chip to send fan speeds? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195292)

Haines Brown December 31st 14 01:57 PM

H97-D3H chip to send fan speeds?

On an older machine, the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard has a Super IO chip
that transmits fan speed information via a it87 driver. But on a new
machine using the H97-D3H the chip has changed and I no longer can get
fan speeds. What is the new chip and driver?

Haines Brown

Paul December 31st 14 06:58 PM

Haines Brown wrote:
On an older machine, the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard has a Super IO chip
that transmits fan speed information via a it87 driver. But on a new
machine using the H97-D3H the chip has changed and I no longer can get
fan speeds. What is the new chip and driver?

Haines Brown

It could be IT8620E. I'm at the limits of magnification here, and
I still can't make it out clearly. The second picture shows an
example of what the font should look like on the chip.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p...yte_h97d3h.jpg

http://gif.datasheetbank.com/image/ITE/IT8620E.gif

What I did, is go through the list here, for some string values
to compare against the picture. And that was the closest match.

http://lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices

IT8620E (LPC bus)

(2014-03-16) One request (Kertesz Laszlo). No datasheet. We had a report
that the chip is somewhat compatible with the IT8728F for the
hardware monitoring part. Be very careful with fan control as
it wasn't tested. So you can try loading the it87 driver with
force_id=0x8728 and see how it goes. If you do, please report!

Someone tries it here.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg42424.html

"I have a new Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H motherboard that has the ITE 8620E chip.
I see on the wiki/Devices site that there is no driver for it. The notes
state that you can try loading the it87 module with the force_id=0x8728
option. I can confirm that this did succeed and sensors reports voltages
and fan speeds. I don't know if fan speed control works."

The chip should be visible on the motherboard,
for you to verify. It is the large square chip, just
down from the audio connectors, and near the audio
trace path lighting section (where they try to prevent
digital tracks from running next to the microphone
input track etc).

HTH,
Paul