HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Settings Question for A7N8X (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=25845)

Bruce Wolfe July 1st 03 08:36 PM

Settings Question for A7N8X

Greetings all,

I just built a new system around the A7N8X DX, Rev. 1003.
With a 3000+ Barton and
Corsair XMS CL 2.0 512MB (slot 2-3).

Here are my settings:

CPU Ex. Frequency [166]
CPU Multiple Setting [MENU]
CPU Multiple [13.0x]
System Performance [User Defined]
CPU Interface [Aggressive]
Memory Frequency [By Spd]
Resulting Frequency 200 MHz.
Memory Timings [User Defined]
Active Precharge Delay [8]
RAS to CAS Delay [3]
RAS Precharge Delay [3]
CAS Latency [2T]

I don't want to sacrifice stability but yet I
want to get the most out of the hardware I bought.
Does this look about right? Should I make any
adjustments? It seems stable at the moment but time
will tell. It's running about 52C. Does that sound
right?

Thanks.

Bruce Wolfe July 2nd 03 03:16 PM

"Ben Pope" wrote in message ...
Bruce Wolfe wrote:
[...]

Memory should be in synch with the FSB on this chipset. Set the memory
frequency to run at 166MHz or try lifting the FSB speed. Unfortunately you
have possibly the earliest revision of the board, which has not received
support for 200MHz FSB.

Ben

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I'll make those adjustments. I should have
mentioned my memory is PC3200. I probably should have waited for a
later version of the board. Will updating the BIOS provide 200Mhz
support?

Ben Pope July 2nd 03 03:38 PM

Ben Pope wrote:
Bruce Wolfe wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Ok, I'll make those adjustments. I should have
mentioned my memory is PC3200. I probably should have waited for a
later version of the board. Will updating the BIOS provide 200Mhz
support?

Yeah, you're specs said you had Samsung PC3200.

Oops, no they didn't. Not sure what post I'm recalling. :-)

Ben

Ben Pope July 2nd 03 03:46 PM

Ben Pope wrote:
Bruce Wolfe wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Ok, I'll make those adjustments. I should have
mentioned my memory is PC3200. I probably should have waited for a
later version of the board. Will updating the BIOS provide 200Mhz
support?

Ok, I've recalled totally the wrong post.

AFAIK, only 1.04 or greater will ever receive 200FSB support.

There was a discussion here I think last week about earliest revision of
A7N8X, and nobody had a 1.03 - I didn't know they'd gone retail at any
stage. Was it advertised as supporting 200FSB?

I don't know if you'll be able to hit 200FSB even with a chipset voltage
mod.

Try searching nForceHQ

http://www.nforcershq.com

Ben

Bruce Wolfe July 3rd 03 02:09 PM

"callsignviper" wrote in message news:moOMa.2284$I8.1711@rwcrnsc53...
"Bruce Wolfe" wrote in message
om...
Greetings all,

I just built a new system around the A7N8X DX, Rev. 1003.

(snip)

Are you sure that's the Revision number of your board???

They are usually: 1.04, 1.06, and 2.0.

Have you looked between the PCI slots (really small print) to determine the
Revision Number?

The board is a 2.00. --Bruce