HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Newbie Question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=13681)

Luke P February 17th 04 11:39 PM

Newbie Question

Hello all,

I'm thinking of building a new PC with the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
and overclocking it to a 3200+. It's the first time I will have built
an overclocked PC and I am buying this processor becuase I don't see
the point in paying £150 when you can just pay £50 and get the same
speeds. That gives me an extra £100 to get a cool graphics card :p.
Anyway, all of the forum threads and stuff I have read about
overclocking the 2500+ have been written in 2002 and 2003 and I am
wondering if AMD have got wise about people having 3200+ speeds
without them having an extra £100 in their bank account and locked the
FSB of the processor somehow or dicreased it's ability to overclock.

I just want to do a simple FSB overclock to 200mhz. The computer will
have this hardwa

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0
A single stick of Samsung 512 Pc3200 RAM
Seagate Barracuda SATA 80gb
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

For cooling I am thinking about 2xAntec Double Ball Bearing 8mm Fans,
Thermaltake Volcano 12 HSF and Coolermaster Premium Thermal Compound.

I just want an overclocker's opinion on what I have planned and if I
have enough cooling and if my first overclocking attempt will work :p.
Can I plz have a quick answer to my question a bit up the page about
AMD locking the FSB (if that is actually possible) sneaked in too :D.

Thanks a bunch,
Luke

Robert Jackson Marley February 18th 04 02:54 AM

fsb is not locked, but multiplier is...i have same board and same locked
cpu, and i clocked it @200fsb to reach 3200 with no vcore increase.
depending, you might have to increase vcore slightly for it to become
stable.
as for cooling, the loud volcano 12 will do the trick, though mite irritate
your eardrums
good luck and post your results
--
My wish list...be free to email me and send me these parts courteously:
AMD 64 FX,
om...

[D.A.]!@#Bourne February 18th 04 03:32 AM

yes AMD has started making locked barton cores but they can be simply
unlocked according to this method given in the link
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/

i would suggest that you get 2 sticks of 256 mb or better 2 of 512 mb pc
3200 ddr ram if you want to turn ur 2500+ into a 3200+ . you would have to
go up on the core voltage as well ......... ummm say about 1.85 V ........
thats just a speculation , it actually differs from processor to processor.
one more thing ........ i would recommend in investing in some good quality
ddr ram as they go a long way in overclocking. get arctic silver 5 ......
way better than coolermaster ....... as for the hsf ...... if you want the
pc to look good ....... not be too loud and still have good cooling ........
invest in about a couple of more low volume case fans ( thermaltake makes
some of the best ones) and go for a swiftech heat sink ........ the new one
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx462-V.asp
coupled with a thermaltake smart fan
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...an2coolMod.htm if you
want it to look cool or
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1214.htm
if you want functionality. the volcano is going to be too loud . it really
rivals vantec's tornado in sound and the cooling is alright ...... its
around the same as volcano 11+ ( which i have ) .
also getting a decently powerful PSU is very important in o/c ( anything
over 400 watts if good enough if made by a good company )
also get a thermaltake heatpipe vga cooler for ur radeon 9800 pro and o/c
that baby too ............. i think these should help u make a very good rig
as well as running it cool enough ........... always remember there should
be enough air circulation in your case ......... like i have five fans right
now ......... 3 blowing out ( 80 mm) and 2 blowing in ( 80mm and 120mm )
none of them are those loud variety types.

lemme know if you need anymore help.

[D.A.]!@#Bourne

Athlon XP 2700+ ~ 2.4 ghz
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR mobo
Geil Dragon pc3200 1gb ddr ram ( 512 X 2 )
Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro @ 410/740

Luke P February 18th 04 02:04 PM

Thanks alot for your excellent advice.

At the moment I can only get 2x256mb Geil Pc3200 RAM. Is this enough
for overclocking?

And I've also found some Geil Copper Thermal Compound which may last
longer than Arctic Silver?

Thanks for that advice on HSFs too, I'm looking for those models now.

Thanks a lot,
Luke

Ben Pope February 23rd 04 08:15 PM

[D.A.]!@#Bourne wrote:
yes AMD has started making locked barton cores but they can be simply
unlocked according to this method given in the link
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/

The locked Bartons cannot be unlocked using that method. For a start, that
is not a method for "unlocking" the multipliers, merely changing them...

Your information is outdated and misguided.

Ben