HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8KNXP & memory issues... HELP! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36783)

modem July 23rd 03 07:48 PM

8KNXP & memory issues... HELP!

My issues are pretty straight forward. When i orginially got my 8KNXP
motherboard I got two generic DDR400 sticks of ram that gave me
issues. Both were identical, but only 1 stick would actually boot the
system at all. The second stick gave fast, repetitive beeps nonstop.
The stick that did boot the system, I checked it with memtestx86 and
that said it had 60,000+ errors in 3 hours of testing so I knew there
were compatitbility issues.

So I went out and got two sticks of Corsair XMS CMX512-3200C2PT
brad/model memory thinking this would solve my problems. No such
luck, BOTH sticks of Corsiar when inserted individually or at the same
time give the nonstop, repetitive beeps acting as if there were no
memory there.

What is wrong here? I've updated the BIOS to F6e, tried everything...
HELP!

Brad

modem July 24th 03 02:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I actually feel stupid now because I found the
cause of the problems. Orginially the PC wouldn't boot, but I triple
checked all wires and found out the 4 Pin power connector for P4's
wasn't fully plugged in. It was about 75% plugged in but not snapped
in place.

That solved all of my issues. I'm now running the XMS memory at the
2-2-2-5 timings and after an hour of CPU stress testing it is working
beautifully. I will run memtest x86 afterwards just to followup.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:29:11 +0100, Dodgy

wrote:

Go into advanced bios (ctrl-f1) i think... Sorry my knxp isn't in
front of me. It's in the manual anyway.

Now change the memory setting from spd to manual and set the speed to
2-3-3-6 (this working for my pair of 512 corsair XMS 3200LL).

Hope this helps.

D0d6y.

Bob Davis July 24th 03 04:14 AM

If you can get your money back on the RAM you've already purchased, try
Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512, which is what I'm running (2 x 512mb modules) on
my 8KNXP with no issues. You can buy a matched pair at a good price at
www.mwave.com (Product catalog Memory Kingston DDR DIMM Second item
from the bottom [KVR400X64C3AK2/1G ]). YMMV, but it might be a good option
to try.

You're not alone having trouble with RAM compatibility on this board.
Regardless of what you do, please let us know how you make out.

Dodgy July 24th 03 09:53 AM

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:03:03 GMT, modem waffled on about
something:

Thanks for the info. I actually feel stupid now because I found the
cause of the problems. Orginially the PC wouldn't boot, but I triple
checked all wires and found out the 4 Pin power connector for P4's
wasn't fully plugged in. It was about 75% plugged in but not snapped
in place.

That solved all of my issues. I'm now running the XMS memory at the
2-2-2-5 timings and after an hour of CPU stress testing it is working
beautifully. I will run memtest x86 afterwards just to followup.

Oooh, nice.

I'll have to give that a try. I must admit that I have been meaning to
change my timings to some more aggressive settings, but I wanted to
check the machine was 101% stable first.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

modem July 24th 03 03:18 PM

I definately have some good news regarding that situation. I came to
find out that the non-booting and instability issues at first were not
memory related, but rather power related. That 4 pin power connector
that feeds current directly to the CPU wasn't inserted all the way due
to a broke clip. Anyway once I fixed that everything worked.

I went ahead using my Corsair XMS CMX512 sticks in dual memory mode
and it worked absolutely perfect. I have been able to even use those
sticks RELIABLY at 2-5-2-2 timings when they are detected and
recommended as 2.5-8-3-3. I even ran memtest x86 on the most
agressive timings and even after hours of testing 0 errors were
reported. With Sandra2003 here are my scores with the various
timings:

2.5 - 8 - 3 - 3 = 4677/4665
2.0 - 7 - 2 - 2 = 4720/4724
2.0 - 6 - 2 - 2 = 4731/4738
2.0 - 5 - 2 - 2 = 4759/4734

Brad

modem July 24th 03 04:56 PM

Amazingly the system is absolutely rock solid. I thought I got the
good end of a bargain when I only paid $100 for the XMS memory which
is rated for 2.5-8-3-3 speeds and I am able to run it at full
agressive settings.

For my first time on Corsair, i'm hooked.