HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Query: Program to reassign Drive letters after removing second harddrive? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=692)

V W Wall August 9th 03 09:05 PM

Query: Program to reassign Drive letters after removing second harddrive?

Craig wrote:

A few years ago I installed a larger hard drive as Primary master and
partitioned it as C,E,F,G.

You must have made one primary partition, and created three logical drives
in an extended partition. They became E,F,G, since the slave drive had
a primary partition on it, and became D.

I kept the old drive as a Slave (handy for backing up data). At the
time the Slave drive assigned it self as the D drive.

This meant it had a single primary partition on it, as it would if
it were used as the boot drive (C:), previously.

Now the old drive has finally failed and my E,F,G partitions have
moved up the ladder to become D,E,F.

That's because Windows doesn't find another primary partition to call D.

Here's my question: is there a program that can update all the
registry and shortcut entries so that they now point to the newly
allocated partitions?

Don't know of any. There are programs to re-name drives, so the old
associations still work.

Buy an inexpensive drive, partition it as a single primary partition,
and install it as slave.

It will become "D:" and your programs, etc. will be OK again. You'll
also have a spare drive again!

Virg Wall

--
A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: