HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hard Drive/Bios Update (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2018)

David Kochol November 4th 03 06:28 AM

Hard Drive/Bios Update

I am trying to upgrade a hard drive in an older NEC Ready 9851
computer with a Biostar M5SIB motherboard. The old hard drive was
6.4GB Fujitsu, and the new drive is a Western Digital WD400BB-00DEA0,
40GB. I believe the computer does not recognize the drive because of
the 32GB limit of my old BIOS. My problem is trying to find an update
to this BIOS:

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Copyright (C) 1984-98, Award Software, Inc.
BIOS ver. 1.06

11/13/1998-SIS-5598-W877-2A5IIB0BC-00

I have checked Award, NEC, Packard Bell, and most of the driver
sights, and I can not find anything for this motherboard. I would
rather try upgrading the BIOS first than buy a controller for the new
drive.

Any info on obtaining a new BIOS update would be great.

Thanks!

Dave

stacey November 4th 03 07:20 AM

David Kochol wrote:

I have checked Award, NEC, Packard Bell, and most of the driver
sights, and I can not find anything for this motherboard. I would
rather try upgrading the BIOS first than buy a controller for the new
drive.

I hate to tell you but you'll be way better off with a new controller. The
new drive is going to run really slow even if you get the bios to see it.

--

Stacey

kony November 4th 03 10:29 AM

On 3 Nov 2003 22:28:24 -0800, (David Kochol) wrote:

[...]

Well, here's some info though I don't know for sure that it's the
correct BIOS, nor whether it will add support for HDD 32GB:
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=53026
It might even be the same version you're already running.

Biostart was never particularly good with BIOS updates, you might not
be able to find a BIOS supporting 32GB because it (may not) exist.

Dave

Alceryes November 4th 03 01:49 PM

I hate to tell you but you'll be way better off with a new controller.
The
new drive is going to run really slow even if you get the bios to see it.

An IDE controller would be the way to go to get the fastest possible
performance in your system. However, you could use the EZBIOS that came with
the 40GB drive. If it didn't come with your drive you can download it.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes